Text messaging is an additional method of communication that Northern Arizona University (NAU) may utilize to reach out to the University community. For the purposes of this document, mass text messages are defined as texts sent to a predetermined group of persons with whom the sender is not in direct, personal contact on a regular basis. Text messaging may also be utilized for a targeted message to an individual student that is time-sensitive in nature.
- Preserve texting as an additional channel for important student-related communications as outlined in the Categories of Messages section. NAU will keep texts to a minimum to ensure that students remain in the texting program and do not opt-out because of overuse.
All mass text messages originating from any University office, or from any authorized University employee acting in his/her professional capacity, are included in this procedure. Message frequency may vary.
Categories of Messages
Texting is reserved for information that is considered critical and/or time-sensitive. The following are the categories of mass text messages permitted under this policy:
- Text messaging used to provide information on upcoming events and announcements, notifying students of important academic dates and relevant student activities.
Text messages will not be used for:
- Repeat reminders of text messages already circulated
- Personal matters (e.g. items for sale)
- The sole means of communicating an essential message or announcement. The text message will be supplemented by some other means of communication (e.g. electronic, paper notice) to ensure all students receive the information.
- You may opt-in or opt-out of receiving texts at any time.
- Subscribing to this service is not required and is used only for matters that NAU deems helpful and pertinent to student success.
- All users may opt out or unsubscribe from receiving text messages from NAU at any time by texting STOP to 67787 or 36850. If you elect to opt out, you will no longer receive text messages from NAU unless you re-subscribe to such services.
Text HELP for help. For more info email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-520-7215. Message frequency may vary. Msg & Data Rates May Apply.
All costs associated with receiving a text message are the responsibility of the individual receiving the message. Receiving mobile text messages from Northern Arizona University is completely free of charge. However, message and data rates may apply from the wireless carrier. Supported carriers include: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile*, Verizon Wireless, Cricket, U.S. Cellular, Virgin Mobile USA, AWCC, Boost, Carolina West Wireless, Cellcom, Cincinnati Bell, ClearSky (GetLisa), C-Spire (Cellular South), Google Voice, Interop, nTelos, and Metro PCS.
* T-Mobile is not liable for delayed or undelivered messages