Enterprise Information Services at NAU
The Enterprise Information Services (EIS) department is made up of several teams who develop, design, and support a variety of applications on campus. Each major service area within EIS is described below.
Information Technology Services supports a variety of enterprise applications that meet the needs of most groups on campus. Whether your unit is utilizing Salesforce or OnBase to track interactions with students or streamline processes within your unit, the Enterprise Information Systems team helps make it happen.
PeopleSoft is the human resource and financial management system at NAU. ITS employs a team devoted to PeopleSoft development to ensure this critical service meets the needs of campus.
User experience & design
The Experience Design team helps ensure that applications, websites, and interactions are user friendly, helpful, and just plain nice to look at. The Experience Design team can consult on a variety of projects from custom applications to web page layouts. We can sit with you for an hour or two and provide insight and advice on your experience design questions or serve as stakeholders in designing a new application or service.
Web Content Management provides technical support and consultation for WordPress and other web environments. Information about enterprise WordPress sites can be found at nau.edu/web.
Reporting, analytics, & data visualization
Enterprise Analytics and Reporting provides institutional information to the NAU community in order to conduct university business and support university internal planning and decision-making.
EIS also provides support and consultation for business process and quality assurance. Much of the support in this area is included with standard application development efforts, but additional information about these additional services can be requested.
Express Development Service for Electronic Forms/Workflow Creation
EIS is offers an express development service to help NAU departments implement fully electronic solutions from start to finish. To get started, go to our OnBase Express Development Request form.
FAQs for Express Development Service
How can you deliver a solution in only 5 days? Accordion Closed
The BPSM team uses OnBase, a rapid development platform, that allows us to deliver simple forms and workflows very quickly. We have years of experience in business process automation and can help you get what you need, quickly. Our standard projects take much longer because the first 80% is quick, but the last 20% is difficult and time-consuming.
What do I do if my solution proposal does not qualify for express service? Accordion Closed
Accept and implement the modifications we propose to make it express service compliant. This will give you a FERPA/HIPAA compliant, user-friendly solution that provides benefits now and builds the foundation for a simpler “Phase 2” project in the future to add on the functionality we weren’t able to deliver in the 5-day development window. Your team will learn to use OnBase with this simple process and be much better prepared for more complex processes in the future.
What types of things can you do in a 5-day development window? Accordion Closed
Here are the types of things we can do for express service:
- Use PeopleSoft queries/views for auto–fills that we do currently have in place. (e.g. employee info, student info, building info, term lists)
- Forms with logic, hide/show, help text, radio buttons, drop-downs, dates, auto–fills, NAU colors/logo, etc.
- Workflows that automate approval processes using standard approval chains and logic.
- Reporting dashboards that show data in charts, maps, and tables
What types of things can’t you do in a 5-day development window? Accordion Closed
Here are the types of things we can’t do for express service:
- Use PeopleSoft queries/views for auto–fills that we do not currently have in place. It takes at least 3 days to obtain access to “new” tables which prevents us from delivering within 5 days.
- Complex workflow that doesn’t follow the standard “Reports-To” approval process.
- Automated document (Word or PDF) creation to meet the need of specifically formatted output.
- Enhancements to existing solutions.
How does the process work? Accordion Closed
- Customer submits the Express Service Development Form
- ITS – Business Process and Service Management (BPSM) team evaluates the request
- If proposal is approved for express service, the customer will receive an email to select from the available weeks.
- Once the development week arrives, the developer will work with the assigned staff member to build the form and workflow Monday through Wednesday. The customer’s team will test the solution on Wednesday through Thursday. The solution will be migrated to the Production environment on Friday.
- The customer will be given the links to the form, the dashboard(s), and a user guide by End of Business on Friday.
- The customer is responsible for implementing the solution and training the staff.
What can we expect to receive in our solution? Accordion Closed
- An easy to use electronic form that auto fills, performs calculations/logic, and triggers workflow.
- A workflow process that includes approvals, notifications, and routing.
- A dashboard to view the forms and their status in workflow.
- The ability to retrieve all completed forms from NAU’s FERPA/HIPAA compliant, auditable OnBase platform.
What do you need to do to begin transforming your business processes? Accordion Closed
- Complete the Express Service Request form to submit the following information
- Mock-up of your form (What information do you need from the customer?)
- Will your form be behind CAS, non-CAS, or both? (Forms can be auto filled if behind CAS)
- Simple workflow steps (Where should the form go for approvals and processing?)
- Notification verbiage (What do the emails that are sent throughout the process need to say?)
- Dedicate a full-time staff person to work closely with our development team. This person must be able to answer our questions and make solution decisions quickly.
- Provide a small team (1 to 3) to test the solution within 3 days of project start.
- Be open to our development team’s recommendations on form/workflow best practices and simplifications to make it all happen in 5 business days or less.
What are examples of projects implemented using this Express Service offering? Accordion Closed
- COVID Exposure Reporting – ITS/Enrollment Mgmt (completed in 5 days)
- Delivery Receipt – Printing Services (completed in 5 days)
- Student Remote Attendance Request – Enrollment Mgmt (completed in 5 days)
- Employee Performance Appraisal – Student Affairs/Enrollment Mgmt/ITS (completed in 5 days)
- Refund Policy Exception – Campus Recreation (completed in 3 days)
- CARES Act Request – Enrollment Mgmt (completed in 5 days)
- Cancellation Refund – Campus Recreation (completed in 2 days)
- Custom Print Estimate Request – Printing Services (completed in 5 days)
- Flexible/Telecommute Request – ITS (completed in 3 days)
- Public Health Emergency Sick Time Request – HR (completed in 3 days)
- Request for ProctorU – ITS (completed in 2 days)
- Express Development Service – ITS (completed in 4 days)