Contact Computer Purchasing
Computer Purchasing at NAU
ITS manages central computer purchasing for all standardized PC and Macintosh hardware.
Are you a student looking to buy a computer?
This site is for faculty, staff, researchers & affiliates to purchase devices for NAU work or instruction. Students can purchase computers on campus at the NAU Bookstore.
- Current computer details, announcements, and other resources can be found on the Computer Purchasing SharePoint site.
- All computer purchases made using University funds or funds controlled by the University must comply with the Computer Purchasing Policy.
- Computer orders are placed with vendors by ITS on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis depending on contract or quantity requirements to meet cost savings objectives.
- When you are ready to begin the process, please submit a ServiceNow request to Computer Purchasing.
Fiscal Year End
The current fiscal year ordering deadline can be found on the Computer Purchasing SharePoint Site on the right-hand side.
Any orders placed after the specified deadline will be ordered and billed in the next fiscal year.
Standard Configurations Tab Open
Exception Requests Tab Closed
Process Tab Closed
Benefits Tab Closed
Standard Configurations Accordion Open
NAU standard configurations are researched, reviewed, tested, and approved by the Computer Hardware Committee.
- NAU Organizational Needs
- Enterprise Software Requirements
- College and Department Feedback
- System Reporting
- Repair Incidents
- Purchase History
- Computer hardware chosen for use at NAU should be a part of a vendor’s business class line
- Chosen configurations must be capable of running a current version of a fully featured Windows or Macintosh operating system
- Industry Trends and Research
- Industry trends and research will be considered where it is fiscally, functionally, and technically supportable within NAU’s current environment
Exception Requests Accordion Closed
We acknowledge that while it is impossible to meet all of NAU’s organizational needs with just a handful of computer configurations, ITS believes the current standard configurations meet close to 90% of the university’s needs.
To meet this goal, buyers must take an objective assessment of their computing requirements and seek to find a fit within the standard configurations. Standard configurations will not remain static but will be reviewed and adjusted according to the technical needs of NAU and vendor changes.
If a current standard configuration doesn’t meet a technical need, please submit an Exception Request through a ServiceNow ticket. An Exception Request may be submitted to expedite a system purchase if necessary. All Exception Requests will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Unique support conditions require approval from the submitting college or department’s leadership. More information about Exception Request can be found in the computer purchasing policy.
Process Accordion Closed
- Colleges and Departments submit orders through the computer purchasing portal during the ordering period.
- Computer Purchasing processes orders as they are received
- OS selection, replacement information, and inventory data are verified
- Financial “speed chart” information is obtained
- Authorization requests are sent to an appropriately authorized signer(s) Based on the currently authorized signers listed in PeopleSoft for IDT journals
- Orders must be approved by an authorized signer(s) before they are placed with the appropriate vendor
- Orders are combined and placed with the respective vendors within the first business week following the ordering period.
- “SpeedCharts” are charged after fiscal authorization
- Vendors ship the orders to approved locations
- AZ K12 Center
- North Valley
- Phoenix Bio-Medical Campus
- Vendor orders are unboxed, tagged, and imaged before delivery.
- Delivery is arranged with the contact for the order.
Benefits Accordion Closed
- Centralized computer purchasing allows NAU to receive deeper discounts on bulk purchases
- Service for standardized systems is more efficient and decreases the total cost of ownership
- Colleges and departments no longer need to complete Purchase Orders
- Property tagging and most system imaging are done before delivery
Why are we unable to purchase custom configurations? Accordion Closed
Standardization makes it easier for IT staff to support hardware to provide efficient and effective service. It is not cost-effective for ITS to set up, maintain, repair and support computer hardware from multiple vendors in a timely manner.
Purchases can be bundled allowing NAU to receive deeper discounts.
If the approved Standard Configurations or purchasing process cannot accommodate computing needs, an exception request must be submitted through an NAU ServiceNow ticket. Unique support conditions require approval from the submitting college or department’s leadership.
How long does it take to receive orders? Accordion Closed
When an order is submitted it will be combined with other NAU orders and submitted to the vendors based on the ordering schedule. Once ITS receives the order it will be tagged and imaged before being delivered to you. On average, once the order is submitted to the vendor it can take two to three weeks for shipping and processing.
When and how will I be billed? Accordion Closed
The speed chart will be billed via a PeopleSoft Service Center Journal (IST) once fiscal approval from the department has been received.