Additional NAU resources
Remote work resources
Tools, technology, and best practices for remote work
Permission to work remotely must be granted through your division’s established process. The resources and recommendations provided here are for anyone already approved to work remotely. Additional information is also available in the Knowledge Base.
General preparation Accordion Closed
- Take a few minutes to ensure all computer and software updates are installed on the computer you will be using.
- Check your internet connectivity.
- Move necessary files from your local machine to a shared drive or cloud account.
- Gather any additional hardware that might be needed, such as your mouse, headset, or favorite pen.
- Please complete the Home Use of University Equipment form
- Set your outgoing voicemail message accordingly.
Communication and collaboration Accordion Closed
- Outlook can be accessed from any web browser at iris.nau.edu.
- Keep your location or work status updated.
- Stay connected with your colleagues by using the available video conferencing tools.
- Download Microsoft 365 on up to 5 devices so you can access Word, Excel, PowerPoint and more from anywhere.
- Utilize Skype for Business for call forwarding
Remote access Accordion Closed
- Learn how to access your Windows workstation remotely from a Mac, Windows, or Linux machine.
- Some setup may be required, so please test this process while you can.
- Please review the Device Configuration Standards, referring specifically to Section IV.
- Enable Two-Step Verification to provide an extra layer of security when logging in to NAU services.
- Install a Virtual Private Network, which is required to access shared drives and remote desktop services.
- Set up access to the NAU Remote Apps service, which provides access to over 50 applications, further expanding what is available from anywhere.
Tips and reminders
- Big news stories where misinformation can spread tend to spark new phishing and other scams – don’t click links or open attachments
- Regularly install and apply computer updates
- Enroll in Two-Step Verification
- If using your home computer, limit kids playing games or family members browsing sites and social media
- Install and update trusted anti-virus software
- Do not store university data on a personal computer – use the NAU network shares
- Avoid using email for sensitive information or data