Parent and family resources
Not sure where to go to find answers to your questions? Have a look at some useful resources and university departments below.
Recommended Resources and Media
Need some help? We have compiled a list of books and other media below that can assist you and your student through the college years.
When you get stuck, have a look here for advice on helping your student have the best college experience possible.
Books Accordion Closed
- How to Survive Your Freshman Year: By Hundreds of College Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors Who Did. Hundreds of Heads Books, Mark W. Bernstein, Yadin Kaufmann, and Frances Northcutt. 2008.
- Parents’ Guide to College Life: 181 Straight Answers on Everything You Can Expect Over the Next Four Years. Robin Raskin. 2006.
- The iConnected Parent: Staying Close to Your Kids in College (and Beyond) While Letting Them Grow Up. Barbara K. Hofer and Abigail Sullivan Moore. 2011.
- Don’t Tell Me What to Do, Just Send Money: The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years. Helen E. Johnson and Christine Schelhas-Miller. 2011.
- You’re On Your Own (But I’m Here If You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years. Marjorie Savage. 2009.
- The Stressed Years of Their Lives: Helping Your Kid Survive and Thrive During Their College Years. Dr. B. Janet Hibbs and Dr. Anthony Rostain. 2019.
- Grown and Flown: How to Support Your Teen, Stay Close as a Family, and Raise Independent Adults. Lisa Heffernan and Mary Dell Harrington. 2019.
- The Campus Cure: A Parent’s Guide to Mental Health and Wellness for College Students. Marcia Morris, MD. 2018.
- Parenting for College. Dr. Sonya Shuler Okoli. 2019.
- Parenting to a Degree: How Family Matters for College Women’s Success. Laura T. Hamilton. 2016.
- The Disintegrating Student: Super Smart & Falling Apart. Jeannine Jannot Ph.D. 2019.
- From Mom to Me Again: How I Survived My First Empty-Nest Year and Reinvented the Rest of My Life. Melissa Shultz. 2016.
- The Freshman Survival Guide: Soulful Advice for Studying, Socializing, and Everything In Between. Nora Bradbury-Haehl and Bill McGarvey. 2016.
- The ABCs of Parenting a College Student: 26 Topics to Help You Navigate This Journey. Jane A Tuttle Ed.D. 2017.
- Your Freshman Is Off To College: A Month-by-Month Guide to the First Year. Laurie L. Hazard, Ed.D. and Stephanie K. Carter, M.A. 2016.
- They’re Ready. Are You?: A Parent’s Guide to Surviving the College Transition. Liz Yokubison. 2019.
Podcasts Accordion Closed
Websites Accordion Closed
- University Parent
- College Parents
- 5 Must-Read Blogs for Parents of College Kids
- College Parent Central
- Set To Go
- Parent Tool Kit: Life After High School
- Parent Tool Kit: Taking Advantage of Parent and Family Programs
- A Parent’s Guide to Mental Health For College Students
- 40+ College Resources for Parents and Students
Other resources and departments
Find other resources below, including places on campus to pay your student’s tuition, keep your student safe, find housing, and more.
Find out where your student needs to go or who to talk to on campus to make the university transition an easy one.
Admissions and new student information Accordion Closed
Learn how to apply to Northern Arizona University, the first steps to take after admission, and how to attend new student orientation.
Advising Accordion Closed
The Gateway Student Success Center provides advising for newly admitted and first-year students.
Campus services Accordion Closed
Career services Accordion Closed
Health Accordion Closed
Finances Accordion Closed
Records Accordion Closed
Office of the Registrar
At the Registrar, you can keep track of important university-wide dates and view your student’s transcripts.