Course Materials Assistance Program (CMAP)
The spring 2021 Course Materials Assistance Program application is now closed. We have reached our maximum number of vouchers. Please be sure to explore some of the Office of the Dean of Students’ other resources for student support. Check back this summer for more information for fall 2021 application dates.
In partnership with Student Affairs and Information Technology Services, the Cline Library is now piloting a long term laptop loan program. Find out more here!
Check and see if Cline Library might have some of your course materials.
Northern Arizona University’s Course Materials Assistance Program (CMAP) assists students with limited financial means in obtaining required course materials for classes by providing a $300 credit at the NAU Bookstore.
To support as many students as possible, all rented and purchased materials must be returned at the end of the term. Please review the information below and contact us by email with any questions.
Eligibility Criteria Accordion Closed
To participate in the Course Material Assistance Program, you:
- Must be a first-time degree seeking undergraduate student in good academic standing.
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student (12 credits).
- Must be enrolled and attending Northern Arizona University (Mountain campus, online, state-wide)
- Must be eligible to receive financial aid and meet the definition of financially needy per Federal Title IV definitions.
- Must have a current FAFSA on file with the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
- Please check your NAU LOUIE To Do List and submit any financial aid documents requested (i.e. Verification) and/or complete the Consent to Release Data checklist item. Consent is needed to be able to release FAFSA information.
What materials are offered? Accordion Closed
New, used, and rental materials are available for this program from the NAU bookstore only (on-line purchase or in-person). This program does not support anything purchased outside the on-campus bookstore.
How many materials may a student obtain? Accordion Closed
Students will be given a $300 voucher for course materials good for use at the NAU bookstore. Applications will be considered on a first come-first served basis.
If I get approved, what are the next steps? Accordion Closed
In order to redeem CMAP Bookstore credit participants must:
- Set up an NAU Bookstore Rental Account
- CMAP participants physically present at the Mountain Campus in Flagstaff must pick up their books in person at the NAU Bookstore starting the first day of the term.
- All participants’ required books will pulled in advance and available at the Bookstore Text Desk.
- Participants will have an opportunity to purchase or decline additional materials beyond the $300 CMAP credit.
- When checking out at the Bookstore, participants should be prepared to present NAU ID to verify their participation in CMAP.
- CMAP participants who are not Mountain Campus students, or who are currently not living in Flagstaff, must immediately email their mailing address to email@example.com.
- Any CMAP Bookstore credit not redeemed within two weeks after the first day of the term will be revoked and that money returned to the CMAP program.
- ALL course materials purchased by CMAP must be returned to the Bookstore no later than the last day of final exams or the last Friday of the semester.
- Any rental materials must be returned to the Bookstore pursuant to the rental agreement.
- Participants requesting mailing will have $6.99 deducted from their $300 credit to cover the cost of outbound mailing.
- Participants receiving course materials my mail are required to return materials to the NAU Bookstore at their own expense no later than one week after the end of the term.
- Participants who fail to return materials as required may be charged the cost of any non-returned materials and barred from using the program in the future.
- CMAP Bookstore credit may not be transferred, redeemed for cash or other Bookstore credit and is only applicable to required course material of the qualified CMAP participant.
- If a participant uses less than their allotted $300 credit those unused funds are returned to the program.
Instructions to set up an NAU Bookstore rental account: Accordion Closed
- Go to bkstr.com
- Under “Find a School” select Northern Arizona University
- Scroll down to “Textbooks” at the very bottom of webpage then select “Register for Text Rental”
- Either log in with your account information or “Create Account”
- Scroll down to “Sign up for Text Rental” and Select “Create Rental Agreement”
- Go to “Rental Account Information” and enter your NAU specific account info that must be given to the bookstore and to Course Materials Assistance Program staff in order to get your books
- Enter YOUR card information because you will be responsible for returning your books and this card will only be charged if you DO NOT return your rental books.
Students are approved for the Course Materials Assistance Program based on a combination of factors that include but are not limited to: 1) eligibility, 2) financial need, 3) date complete application was submitted, and 4) past borrower history.