Visit UsYou can find the Lumberjack CARE Center connected to Sechrist Hall on the Flagstaff Mountain Campus.
Learn more about...
Meet the CARE Team
Case management services
Building helping relationships for students experiencing challenges.
The Lumberjack CARE Team case managers offer one-on-one support to students experiencing a variety of life or academic challenges. We provide non-clinical space in which to reflect on the heart of an issue, problem solve, create an action plan, safety plan, connect with resources, receive emotional support, or engage with wellness activities or resources. We are not counselors or therapists—supportive meetings, brainstorming sessions, or check-ins are available by zoom, phone, or in-person at no cost.
Want to learn more about the CARE Team? Read our frequently asked questions.
If you or someone you know is in need of case management from the CARE Team, submit a CARE Referral or contact us at CAREcenter@nau.edu, 928-523-5181. Please note that review of these forms will not take place outside of normal business hours. If there is an immediate risk to health or safety, please call 911.
Reasons to submit a CARE Referral
- Difficult life circumstances: any family, interpersonal, or personal situation overwhelming the student’s capabilities
- Emotional distress: homesickness, difficulty with transition, coping, stress management, or wellness.
- Mental health concerns: anxiety, depression, behavioral health concern, or difficulty navigating or accessing mental health services
- Thoughts of suicide
- Substance use
- Self-injury or self-harm
- Eating disorder or body image-related struggles
- Grief/bereavement: Struggles related to a death of a family member or close friend
- Health or medical issues: managing injury, hospitalization, serious illness or difficulty accessing health insurance or health services
- Basic needs: difficulty with financial, food, or housing insecurity
- Difficulty navigating campus processes: academic, enrollment, or other concerns related to a crisis
Examples of services offered:
- Connection to resources
- Problem-solving and developing an action plan
- Continuity and accountability to empower students towards self-advocacy
- Help navigating campus processes
- Safety planning
- Engagement with wellness activities or resources
- Brief emotional support
- Follow-up support during or after a hospitalization
- Outreach to students in distress or who may have experienced a crisis
- Consultation with faculty/staff to support a student in distress
A CARE Referral should not be used if crisis or immediate response is needed. Please utilize 911 or crisis resources. We encourage you to submit a CARE Referral after urgent needs are taken care of for support and follow up.
Jacks Care 24/7 offers students free emergency and ongoing short-term counseling support via text, chat, and phone/video by downloading the app or by calling (866) 656-9983.