The Edge Leadership Experience
Welcoming future leaders
The Edge Leadership Experience is a unique opportunity for first-year incoming students to learn and practice leadership skills.
Program mission/purpose: The purpose of The Edge Leadership Experience is to provide first-year students with a four-day camp experience that welcomes them to campus, builds upon their leadership skills, and introduces them to engagement and leadership opportunities within the University. Ultimately, The Edge Leadership Experience provides a unique opportunity for students to learn and practice leadership skills while transitioning into the college environment.Click here to register for EDGE 2022!
August 22-25, 2022
Potential participant schedule:
- Day 1: Time commitment: 4pm–8pm
- Day 2: Time commitment: 9am–7pm
- Day 3: Time commitment: 9am–7pm
- Day 4: Time commitment: 9am–7pm
Program goals and learning outcomes
Goal #1: Deepen students’ understanding of their leadership identity by exploring values, strengths, and character.
Learning outcome: Students will understand and be able to articulate what makes them a leader in their respective communities.
Goal #2: Assist students in discovering their identity as leaders at the collegiate level through the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership and the Social Change Model of leadership.
Learning outcome: Students will put the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership and the Social Change Model of leadership into action on campus.
Goal #3: Introduce students to opportunities for leadership engagement at Northern Arizona University.
Learning outcome: Students will participate in leadership opportunities to expand their comfort levels.
Goal #4: Establish a cohort of fellow student leaders with a meaningful connection at Northern Arizona University.
Learning outcome: Students will develop a sense of belonging by cultivating lasting relationships and discovering their place at NAU.
Additional program information
Who is involved? Accordion Closed
100 first-year students from all backgrounds will be selected for the program. We encourage participation from students who were involved in student organizations and leadership positions in high school and from students who have not had previous opportunities but want to make leadership part of their college experience. Upper-division students who are current student leaders serve as facilitators for the program.
What should I expect? Accordion Closed
If accepted, you will be placed in a small group designed to enhance your campus connections. Small groups will participate in workshops, presentations, activities, and challenges that strengthen bonds and provide an engaging experience.
Highlighted events Accordion Closed
- Leadership workshops
- Team building activities
- Community service
Cancellation and refund policies Accordion Closed
The Edge Leadership Experience hopes everyone who registers for the conference will be able to attend; however, the Edge Leadership Experience staff knows extenuating circumstances do occur. The Edge cancellation and refund policies are as follows:
Conference refund and cancellation policy
The Edge Leadership Experience cancellation and refund policy will be as follows to assure consistency and is applicable to the annual camp.
- Conference registration canceled via email on or before July 23, 2022 is refundable but subject to a $15 administrative fee.
- Registrants canceling after July 23, 2022 will not receive a refund. The refund and cancellation policy will not be waived. Registration fees may be transferred to another individual; the invoice for the new registration will be revised to reflect the new registrant.
- In the event The Edge Leadership Experience must cancel the camp due to unforeseen circumstances, The Edge Leadership Experience will refund the cost of registration. However, The Edge Leadership Experience does not assume responsibility for any additional costs, charges, or expenses, to include charges made for travel and lodging.