University policies, rules, and statements
We have compiled the list of policies, rules, and statements below as some of the most relevant to your experience as a student at Northern Arizona University.
- Drug Free Schools
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Hazing prevention
- Safe Working and Learning Environment Policy
- Statement Regarding Planned Events
- Student Code of Conduct
Assumption of Risk, Waiver, and Release for Participation in Voluntary Activities Accordion Closed
By participating as a student in any NAU activity, event, use of facilities or equipment; you are participating at your own risk. You, on behalf of yourself and your spouse, if any, and your heirs, successors, and assigns:
1) Acknowledge and understand that participation may involve a variety of activities. Such participation may involve risks, including but not limited to, serious personal injury, partial or permanent disability, property damage, and/or death. These risks may result from your own actions or inactions, from the actions or inactions of others, or may be inherent to participating in these activities. You understand that you are responsible for ensuring that you are properly prepared for such activities, and represent that you are in good health and able to participate fully in such activities.
2) Assume all of the foregoing risks and accept personal and financial responsibility for all damages for personal injury, partial or permanent disability, property damage, or death, caused by yourself, to the fullest extent allowed by law.
3) Agree not to sue the State of Arizona, the Arizona Board of Regents, Northern Arizona University, their officers, employees, agents, and assigns, and waive all claims, demands, losses, or damages on account of personal injury, partial or permanent disability, property damage, or death, caused or alleged to be caused in whole or in part by the actions of any person or entity, to the fullest extent allowed by law.
4) Grant to NAU and to its employees, agents and assigns the right to photograph you and use the photo and or other digital reproduction of you or other reproduction of your physical likeness for publication processes for use in connection with these activities, whether electronic, print, digital or via the Internet.
5) Understand that medical care facilities may not be immediately available and accept the increased risk that may pose in the event of injury.
6) Understand that NAU does not have medical personnel available at these activities location, and agree that any medical costs, including emergency medical treatment that may be incurred as a result of your participation in these activities will be your financial responsibility.
7) Hereby consent to NAU, any appropriate medical facility, providing whatever medical services they may deem necessary in the event of an emergency. You certify that you have adequate insurance and/or other means to pay for any costs and expenses related to these services and agree to bear such costs and expenses in full.
8) Agree that you will comply with NAU’s rules, standards, and instructions for student behavior, including the Student Code of Conduct, as well as any specific standards of conduct of these activities that may be provided to you. The Student Code of Conduct can be found at: https://nau.edu/university-policy-library/student-code-of-conduct/. You understand that you are not permitted to consume alcohol, possess/use weapons or illegal substances, or engage in sexual activities while participating in these activities. You agree that NAU has the right, in its sole discretion, to enforce the standards of conduct described above, and that it may impose sanctions, up to an including expulsion from these activities or from NAU, for violating these standards or for any behavior detrimental to or incompatible with the standards of NAU or these activities. You understand that NAU has the right to make changes to the format and administration of these activities.
9) Waive and release all claims against the State of Arizona, the Arizona Board of Regents, and Northern Arizona University, their officers, employees, agents, and assigns that arise at a time when you are not under the direct supervision of NAU or that are caused by your failure to remain under such supervision or to comply with rules or instructions, to the fullest extent allowed by law.
Additional information on university policies can be found on the University Policies web page.