Understanding a FERPA Release from the Lumberjack Family Hub – Requestor
What is FERPA? Accordion Closed
FERPA (The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act), sets forth requirements regarding the privacy of student records and affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. FERPA applies to those institutions that receive funding from the Department of Education and guarantees students three primary rights: to inspect and review their education records; to seek to amend education records; and to exercise some control over the disclosure of information from those education records.
Education records are those records which are directly related to a student and maintained by Northern Arizona University or by a person or authorized agent acting for Northern Arizona University, which include any information or data recorded in any medium, including, but not limited to handwriting, print, tapes, film, microfilm, and microfiche.
How do I request access? Accordion Closed
Creating an account in the Lumberjack Family Hub will allow you to connect to your student by sending them a request to access their records. On the day after the request is approved, you will have access to view their information. The data will be updated nightly.
To connect to your student:
- Login and click the graduation cap icon in the top-right corner of the page (Please note that your student must approve the request. Only then will you be able to access their information the following day).
- Enter either the student’s personal email address used on their admissions application if this is the first semester they are attending Northern Arizona University or, if they are a continuing student enter their Northern Arizona University email address.
- Request access to:
- Academic Records – Office of the Registrar
- Financial Aid Records – Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
- Student Financial Records – Student and Departmental Accounts
- The student will receive an email with the request and a link to approve or deny the request.
- Once the request is approved, the requester must wait 24 hours to view the requested information.
I entered the wrong email address, how do I start over? Accordion Closed
- Cancel the request by clicking on the graduation cap; scroll to the bottom, Click “Cancel this connection.”
- Start a new request with the student’s correct email address.
- Student gets an email and approves your request.
What if I cannot see the information? Accordion Closed
If you received an email notifying you that your request was approved, but you do not have access to the information in the Lumberjack Family Hub, please send an email explaining the issue to Support@CampusESP.com.
Understanding the Lumberjack Family Hub – Student
How do I approve access? Accordion Closed
You will receive an email in your NAU email account informing you that you have a new connection request. You may click on the link “click here to approve this request” to be taken to a page where you can view the request.
When viewing the request you may:
- approve all of the requested items
- approve individual items
- approve access only (i.e., This grants permission for an NAU Education Official to provide all of your educational records outside of the Lumberjack Family Hub per FERPA.)
- deny all requested items
Please see our Update Connection guide for more information.
How do I revoke access? Accordion Closed
To revoke access after initial access is granted, you may log into the Lumberjack Family Hub and view your active connections.
Select the individual you would like to revoke access to your records.
You may cancel the connection entirely or uncheck the records you do not want to share.
Please review our Revoke Access guide for more information.
What if I already have a FERPA Release? Accordion Closed
You may keep your current release on your account or sign up for the Lumberjack Family Hub to provide access to specific records.
Signing up for the Lumberjack family Hub will replace and nullify your previous FERPA Release.
How do I revoke access if I do not have a Lumberjack Family Hub account? Accordion Closed
Please send an email to Registrar@nau.edu from your NAU email account requesting the removal of an individual from your FERPA Release or removal of the release entirely.