Operations and Maintenance
Operations and Maintenance is responsible for the maintenance and continued safe operation of campus facilities, and for prolonging the useful life of facilities. Operations and Maintenance is tasked with operation and maintenance of campus buildings with respect to electrical, custodial, building access, fire life safety, plumbing, general maintenance, carpentry and paint. It is also responsible for maintaining the campus grounds, which includes snow removal. Additionally, Operations and Maintenance is responsible for maintaining the Fleet Service Center, as well as the moving department. Daily, Operations and Maintenance works to complete a wide variety of services to provide a functional, safe environment at NAU. Our departments are comprised of multi-talented, multi-skilled trades personnel experienced in all areas of building systems, both internally and externally.
University Custodial Team Accordion Closed
The University Custodial Team has the responsibility of keeping the campus at the highest possible level of cleanliness.
- Floors: sweeps, vacuums, mops and buffs.
- Trash: empties interior trash containers and ash cans located near building entrances. Computer boxes, books and other excess materials are not removed by custodians.
- Restrooms: cleans, disinfects and maintains supplies of soap, paper towels, toilet tissue and other materials. Custodial does not supply roll towels in laboratories and building lunch rooms but will assist your department in purchasing those items.
- Furniture/Walls: dusts and washes walls, woodwork, etc. Custodians do not dust individual desks, computers and personal shelves.
- Windows: washes interior windows and only first floor exterior windows.
- Entrances: keeps free of litter, ice and snow. Custodians apply ice melt to building entrances, exterior stairs and ADA ramps. Grounds personnel clear sidewalks and pedways.
- Building security: Academic custodians lock and unlock the exterior of buildings daily.
- Carpet cleaning more than once a year is chargeable to your department.
- Cleaning/dusting of window blinds is a chargeable service.
- Stripping and waxing floors more than once a year is chargeable to your department.
- Biohazard clean up, i.e. blood, feces, vomit, is chargeable to your department.
- All custodial services requested for special departmental events are chargeable to your department.
Landscaping Accordion Closed
- Responsible for promoting and maintaining a campus with healthy grass, natural trees and shrubbery.
- Provides snow removal for approximately five miles of roads and parking lots, and more than 20 miles of sidewalks.
- Responsible for drip irrigation systems, sprinkler systems and landscaping for approximately 400 acres.
- Responsible for installation and maintenance of regulatory signs.
- Responsible for excavations of utilities emergencies and repairs.
- Responsible for street and parking lot sweeping and repairs.
- Responsible for athletic field maintenance for intramural activities, club sports, varsity athletics, conferences and camps.
Moving, Equipment Rental & Document Destruction Accordion Closed
Moving Services provides the moving of furniture, labs, equipment, boxes, or just about anything else needing transporting. The department has a forklift with a maximum lifting capacity of 6,000 lbs. These services are chargeable to departments at the following rates:
- $49.39 hr per mover per hour (1/4 hour increments).
- $50.00 hr forklift and operator.
- $150.00 forklift rental per day (minimum).
- Boxes, if available, may be purchased for $3.00/ea, and usable boxes will be bought back at $2.75/ea.
The charge rate is based upon regular work hours, Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM. The overtime rate will be billed for work requested outside of regular work hours.
- Campus Event Operations and Support can provide table and chair rentals for campus users.
- Please submit a request for equipment rental by clicking on this link to the Event Information Form.
- For more information or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 928-523-4313.
*Please plan well in advance for events such as graduation.
Rental equipment pickup
Moving Services will pick up equipment from the original delivery location. Please ensure equipment is ready for pickup on the date specified in the rental agreement. Additional rental charges will be incurred if equipment is not ready for pickup.
Damaged, soiled or lost equipment
A $25.00 fee will be added to the department billing for any equipment returned damaged or needing extensive clean up. Departments will be charged a replacement cost for equipment that is lost or stolen.
- Document destruction services are available. Please submit a Work Request or call the Work Control Center at 523-4227
- The facility we use for document disposal is the Flagstaff Materials Reclamation Facility (MRF). The MRF is not a bonded warehouse, and confidentiality cannot be 100% secured through this course.
- Should there be a need for confidential document destruction, the provost office should place a request directly with MAKOSHRED, (928) 522-6256. The Work Control Center and Facility Services cannot coordinate MAKOSHRED services for the requestor.
To request these services online, please submit a Work Request or call the Work Control Center at 523-4227.
Carpentry Accordion Closed
What does the Carpentry department do?
- Repairs and maintains all roofing systems, heat tapes, gutters and downspouts.
- Repairs furniture, doors, desks, seats, cabinets and countertops worn from regular use.
- Masonry repair, maintenance and new construction for Residence Life buildings.
- Reconfigures or installs new partitions and modular furniture. Our technicians are Steelcase certified.
- Fabricates custom cabinets, executive quality whiteboards, etc.
What kind of carpentry work is routine maintenance?
- Repairs to doors, furniture, desks, seats, cabinets and countertops worn from regular use are generally not chargeable.
- Repair of roof leaks.
- Preventive maintenance inspection of roof, gutters, heat tapes, etc.
What kind of carpentry work is chargeable?
- Renovation and remodeling projects including construction of new walls, relocation of existing walls, doors, windows, cabinets and modular furniture and partitions.
- Installation of TV brackets and access panels, fabrication of picture frames, and other special customer requests such as oversized chalkboards and whiteboards.
- Installation of suspended grid ceilings and suspended sheetrock ceilings.
- Fabrication of Corian or laminate countertops/desktops and customer display cabinets.
- Installation of cabinetry purchased from outside vendors if cabinetry meets the NAU technical standards.
All work is subject to an asbestos assessment if any cutting, grinding or other building structure disturbances will be required. If abatement is required over the set limit that Facility Services employees are trained to perform, the customer will be liable for the additional abatement costs.
Electrical Accordion Closed
What does the Electric department do?
- Responsible for campus electrical systems. We maintain transformers, fuse boxes, motors, generators, emergency phone lights and campus exterior lights.
- Installation of new outlets and circuits.
- Installation of ceiling fans.
What should I do if an outlet sparks?
Immediately call the Work Control Center at 3-4227 and we will dispatch technicians to your building to check the outlet.
What should I do if an outlet stops working?
Do not try to repair it yourself.
Electricians and General Maintenance Mechanics repair outlets as routine maintenance. Call the Work Control Center at 3-4227, or submit a work request online.
Electricians can review your equipment-load requirements to determine if a circuit is overburdened with electrical demands or is capable of supporting a new piece of equipment. This is a chargeable service. Call the Work Control Center at 3-4227, or submit a work request for an estimate.
HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Cooling) Accordion Closed
What does the HVAC department do?
- Responsible for the mechanical equipment in your building that is not generally seen because it is located in the building walls, ceilings or floors.
- Inspects the mechanical equipment room in your building every day as part of preventive maintenance. Technicians oil and grease pumps, clean filters and check fans a minimum of every 6 months.
- Adjusts room/building temperatures and installs new thermostats as routine maintenance.
What the HVAC department does not do?
- HVAC does not service or install window air conditioners or space heaters.
- HVAC does not service water coolers, refrigerators, or walk in coolers.
General Maintenance Mechanics Accordion Closed
General Maintenance Mechanics (GMMs) are the front-line responders in Facility Services.
What services are provided to my building by a GMM?
- Minor plumbing repairs of leaks and stoppages in equipment such as faucets, shower valves, hose bibs, sinks, toilets, urinals, flush valves, floor drains and drinking fountains.
- Repairs and/or installs toilet seats, soap dispensers, hand towel dispensers and towel bars.
- Minor electric repairs of receptacles, outlets, switches, ballasts, fuses, circuit breakers and exit lighting devices.
- Minor carpentry repairs on doors, closets, cabinets and stair treads.
- Installation of new keyboard trays, pencil sharpeners, bulletin boards and whiteboards.
- Repairs/replaces/installs ceiling tiles, floor tiles and window blinds.
Building Access Services Accordion Closed
- Repairs and maintains campus locks, and produces keys for all locks on campus. Changing locks or re-keying lock systems for security reasons (i.e., lost or stolen keys) and special equipment locking devices are chargeable to your department.
- Services ADA access door operators as routine maintenance.
- Safe and vault service.
- Installs computer and office equipment security devices.
- Security consulting for all campus departments.
- The BAS Policies and Procedures can be found on the FS Policies and Procedures page.
- Grand Master Key Request Form – New in OnBase – Please read the policy linked above – instructions included.
- Outside Contractor Key Request Form – New in OnBase
- Outside Contractor Key Request – key sign-out form
Paint Accordion Closed
The Paint department staff is charged with maintaining the interior and exterior of painted building surfaces, field and parking lot striping. It also maintains and fabricates all signage on campus.
What kind of painting is chargeable?
- Painting floors.
- Renovation projects, graphics and wood refinishing.
- Signage additions and changes.
- Changing a specialty paint color back to a standard maintenance paint color.
- Any color selections other than standard maintenance colors.
Standard maintenance paint colors are Navajo White and Minimal White.
Plumbing Accordion Closed
Emergencies are considered situations that risk life, limb, or property. Examples of emergency situations Facility Services would respond to are: gas leaks, water line breaks, electrical outages (wires down or exposed), severe leaks, or exposed sewage. Dial 3-4227 to call in an emergency to Facility Services.
|NAU Police Department - Emergencies||911|
For other important phone numbers please refer to the NAU Police Department web site.
Click here to view the Universal Waste Management Plan.