Student Activities Council
The Northern Arizona University Student Activities Council (STAC) provides financial support for events that enhance and enrich students’ lives on the Mountain Campus. Any department or registered student organization can seek funding through STAC. Student organizations seeking funding of less than $1000 should also consider applying for funding through the Associated Students of Northern Arizona University (ASNAU) funding process.
Please note the following requirements and timelines before submitting a proposal: Accordion Closed
- Funded events must be open to all students and take place on the Flagstaff campus. Funded events must be intended to appeal to a wide range of student interests or areas of study.
- Additional scrutiny will be placed on requests to fund items that will be kept by the student organization for future use or events that raise funds for the sponsoring student organization or department. Funded items or activities must be available to all attendees.
- Although typically not approved, requests to fund food are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- STAC cannot allocate funds for charitable organizations or gifts.
- The maximum amount of funding for any one event is $10,000. If a group or department submits more than one proposal during the course of an academic year, the total of all funds awarded shall not exceed $10,000.
- If a group or department submits a proposal for an event that has been funded by STAC in previous years, the following funding guidelines will apply:
- In the second year, the proposal may be funded for up to $7500.
- In the third year, the proposal may be funded for up to $5000.
- In the fourth and subsequent years, the proposal may be funded for up to $3000 at the discretion of the committee.
- It shall be up to the committee to determine whether a proposed event is the same as or similar enough to previously funded events such that the above funding guidelines will apply.
- STAC encourages sponsoring organizations to seek ways for annual events to be self-sustaining. Subsequent funding requests for a similar event may be reduced or denied at the discretion of the committee.
- The use of card scanners is required by STAC members at STAC-funded events to gather general information about student attendees.
Additional information before submitting a proposal: Accordion Closed
- Proposals should be submitted no less than 45 calendar days prior to the event.
- Proposals are reviewed in the order they are received.
- STAC will notify the Event Coordinator (person submitting proposal) to arrange a formal presentation during a regularly scheduled meeting.
- Presentations should not exceed 5 minutes with an additional 5 minutes for the committee to ask questions.
- STAC meetings are held on Fridays from 10 to 11 am during the fall and spring semesters. The committee does not meet during the summer.
- Unless additional information is requested, proposals will be voted on by STAC immediately following the presentation. Requests may be funded fully, partially, or denied. Once a decision is reached the presenter will be notified within two business days.
- If awarded money by STAC, a registered student organization must schedule a meeting with a STAC Adviser to review event planning and funding procedures. Funds may be dispersed through direct payment of expenses or through reimbursement to the student organization.
- If funding is approved for a proposal submitted by a university program or department, the department or program is responsible for making all arrangements related to the event and covering all up-front costs. After the event, STAC will initiate a transfer of funds from STAC to the sponsoring department.
STAC bylaws Accordion Closed
Please review the STAC bylaws for complete information about the committee and the funding process.
Upcoming STAC events
Events coming soon.
Apply to be a member of STAC
All STAC members must be enrolled as full-time NAU students and maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA throughout their time as a STAC member. Council members must agree to the following:
- Represent the needs and concerns of the student body at large.
- Attend all regularly scheduled meetings, review event proposals, participate in discussions, and vote on proposals.
- Attend at least three STAC-funded events per semester.
We are currently accepting applications from students who would like to join STAC in 2019-2020. Members must be available for meetings on Fridays from 10 to 11 am. More information and the application are available in Handshake.