Filing a Formal Complaint
Guidelines and methods for filing a formal written complaint
Informal resolution Accordion Closed
When a student encounters a problem on campus or feels she/he has been treated unfairly, the student should first try to resolve the issue informally with the faculty/staff member or department directly involved. Many issues can be resolved if a student makes an appointment with a faculty or staff member and calmly and honestly communicates their concerns.
Initiating a formal complaint Accordion Closed
If the student is not satisfied with the response from the department, the student may initiate a formal written complaint via paper or electronically. Formal written complaints not submitted using the online Formal Complaint Form must be signed by the student or received from his or her official NAU email account.
A complaint reported by telephone will not be considered as submitted for review.
All formal complaints through the Formal Complaint Form are automatically tagged with the NAU UserID used to login to the form. This ensures that the complaint is clearly attributable to the student.
A formal complaint filed through the online Formal Complaint Form will be sent to the appropriate office (see complaint routing, below) unless it can be best addressed by another department.
Filing by email or on paper
The student may also file their complaint by email or on paper, including all of the following contact and complaint information. Routing details are below.
Contact information Accordion Closed
- Student full legal name (as enrolled)
- Mailing address
- Your preferred email address
- Telephone number
- NAU User-ID
- Last term of enrollment (if not currently enrolled)
Complaint information Accordion Closed
- First date on which the events or issues occurred
- Name(s) of the persons/departments involved
- Describe your complaint in detail. Include the names (and titles) of persons, locations, and dates.
- What attempts have you made to resolve this complaint? Include information on who you contacted, dates, and outcome.
- What resolution do you seek (feel would be fair)?
Email or paper complaints should be sent to the appropriate administrative office, based on the type of complaint.
Academic complaints Accordion Closed
Complaints related to a specific academic college should be filed with the appropriate college Dean:
- College of Arts and Letters: CAL Dean’s Office
- College of Education: Ramona Mellott
- College of Engineering, Forestry, and Natural Sciences: CEFNS Dean’s Office
- College of Health and Human Services: CHHS Dean’s Office
- College of Social and Behavioral Sciences: SBS Dean’s Office
- W.A. Franke College of Business: W.A. Franke Dean’s Office
- Graduate College: Maribeth Watwood
- Honors: George Gummerman
All other academic complaints or if student is unsure of appropriate college:
- Office of the Provost: firstname.lastname@example.org
Non-Academic complaints Accordion Closed
- Residence halls, dining, or the University Union: email@example.com
- Admissions or student financial aid: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registrar’s office: email@example.com
- Information Technology Services: Ask-STC@nau.edu
- Student and Departmental Account Services: SDAS@nau.edu
- All other non-academic complaints: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student-athlete complaints: Robyn.Sharp@nau.edu