How to Enroll in NAU Benefits
for Faculty & Appointed Staff
You are eligible to enroll in voluntary benefits that include medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and short-term disability. Learn about your voluntary benefit options.
- Sign on to Louie Self-Service
- Select ‘Benefits’ on the home page.
- Select ’Benefits Enrollment’.
- Click ‘Select’ for the event displayed.
- Click ‘Edit’ on each benefit to enroll/change your election.
- Click ‘Save and Continue’ when your enrollment is completed.
- Click ‘Submit’ to authorize your enrollments.
You have 31 days from your hire date to enroll in your voluntary benefits.
If you do not enroll, all benefits except basic life insurance, which is provided at no cost, will be waived.
Health Care ID Cards
Your enrollment information us sent to each vendor on your benefits effective date.
- It will take several days before your enrollment will show on the provider’s eligibility portal.
- Once on the portal, you are able to register for an account with the vendor and print a temporary ID Card.
- The vendor will then mail your ID card to your home address within 2 weeks.
- Visit the ‘Your Benefit Contacts’ webpage for the provider’s website address and customer service phone number.
Rules to remember
- Coverage is effective the first day of the pay period after a completed enrollment. View the current payroll schedule to determine your coverage effective date.
- Dual enrollment is not allowed! You cannot be enrolled both as an employee on your plan and as a spouse or dependent child on another employee’s plan with the Arizona Department of Administration (ADOA).
- Your next opportunity to make changes to your benefits will be during Open Enrollment unless you experience a Qualified Life Event (QLE) such as birth of a child or marriage.
- Keep your personal information updated – Benefit vendors are provided your home address, preferred phone and work email address. It is important for you to keep your personal contact up to date NAU is not responsible for lost or misdirected communications.
Both you and NAU contribute to your primary retirement plan. You are offered the choice of Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) or the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP).
If you enroll in the ORP your contributions will begin the first day of the pay period following your completed enrollment.
If you enroll or are defaulted into ASRS your contributions will begin:
- New Members: The first day of the pay period following 183 days of continuous service.
- Current Members: Your date of hire, if you have an active retirement account.
- Forfeited Members: Your date of hire, if you forfeited your account less than two years ago.
How to make your primary retirement election
You have 30 days to make your Primary Retirement Plan election. Once you make your election or are defaulted into ASRS, you cannot change your Primary Retirement Plan unless your eligibility changes. For example, if you are Faculty or Appointed Staff employee and move to classified staff.
Learn about your Primary Retirement Plan options.
You have 30 days from your hire date to make your retirement election.
If you do not make an election, you will be enrolled in ASRS.
Follow these 2 steps make your retirement election.
- Make your election. Use the online retirement election form to make your election.
- Set up your account. Once you make your retirement election you will receive a confirmation email with instructions on how to set up your retirement account.
If you select the ORP you will be prompted to make your investment elections after you setup your account. If you do not make an investment election, you will be invested in the ORP’s Qualified Default Investment Alternative – The T Rowe Price Target Retirement Date Funds.
Supplemental Retirement Plans
NAU employees are eligible to participate NAU’s Supplemental Retirement plans to save extra money for retirement. NAU does not match your contributions.
Learn more about NAU’s Supplemental Retirement Plans.
403b Tax-Deferred Annuity Plan
Fidelity is the administrator and Fidelity and TIAA are the investment providers.
You can enroll or make changes any time at netbenefits through Fidelity.
457 Deferred Compensation Plan
Nationwide Retirement Solutions is the administer and investment provider.
You can enroll or make changes at any time by contacting Randall Neis, Retirement Specialist (480) 213-4157.
Still have questions??
Contact the Benefits Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (928) 523-2223.