Enrolling or Changing Your Voluntary Benefits
You can enroll in benefits when you’re first eligible, Open Enrollment and if you experience a qualified life event.
New to NAU Accordion Closed
Welcome to Northern Arizona University. The benefits you receive from Northern Arizona University are an important part of your total compensation package. Because not everyone has the same needs, our benefit program allows you to select the plans and levels of coverage that are right for you and your family.
New Employee Welcome “NEW”
You are encouraged to attend a benefits orientation. At “New”, Human Resource representatives meet with newly eligible employees to review the details of each benefit program and answer any questions you may have. Find out how to register for “NEW“.
You will enroll in your voluntary benefits through the LOUIE Self Service Center. Please note the “home address” field is the address our benefit vendors use to send insurance cards and other important correspondence.
- You have 31 days from your date of hire into a benefit eligible position to complete your enrollment.
- If you do not enroll within the 31 days, your benefits will be waived by default and you will have to wait until the next open enrollment period or until you experience a Qualified Life Event.
- Your voluntary benefits will be effective the first day of the pay period following your completed enrollment. You will not be able to complete your enrollment until benefit eligible hire date.
- Review dependent eligibility requirements
Make your primary retirement election
Enroll in ASRS Retirement Accordion Open
Classified employees are required to participate in the Arizona State Retirement Program (ASRS) for retirement and long term disability.
Setting up Your ASRS Account
You will need to set up an account with ASRS to designate a beneficiary and so that your contributions can be credited correctly with the state. After your account has been set up, you will receive a confirmation email within a few weeks from ASRS verifying that your account is active.
How to make your primary retirement election:
- Go to https://hr.nau.edu/apps/ret_election/
- Select your retirement plan, ASRS (Arizona State Retirement Plan)
- Click Continue
After you elect ASRS
You will be guided through the process to set up your account and to submit your enrollment to Human Resources. You must complete all steps in the enrollment process including submitting your election to Human Resources for your enrollment to be valid
Enroll in the ORP Retirement Accordion Closed
The ORP is a defined contribution plan offered to faculty, appointed staff and service professionals as an alternative to state-sponsored defined benefit plans like ASRS.
- Your retirement election is irrevocable and cannot be changed for the duration of your employment.
- You must make your retirement elections within 30 days of hire. If you do not make your election within 30 days of hire, you will automatically be enrolled in ASRS.
You will be guided through the enrollment process to:
- Go to https://hr.nau.edu/apps/ret_election/
- Elect your investment provider (Fidelity or TIAA-CREFF)
- Set up an account with your investment provider through their website.
- If you did not see your confirmation number provided, enter your employee ID in the “confirmation code” field.
- Submit your election to Human Resources.
- You must complete all steps in the enrollment process including submitting your election to Human Resources for your enrollment to be valid.
- Your enrollment is not complete until you click the second (final) submit button to authorize your enrollment.
Mid-year 2020 health plan/FSA changes – IRS Section 125 Accordion Closed
To assist with the nation’s response to the 2019 Coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19), the IRS has allowed the flexibility of mid-year changes to elections under a section 125 cafeteria plan for the remainder of the plan year (12/31/2020). NAU is allowing benefit eligible employees to enroll, drop or change their health care plans, spending accounts, and/or to add/drop qualified dependents.
- Medical, dental, vision
- Short term disability
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DFSA)
- If you are changing your annual pledge for health or dependent care FSA, you may not change your annual pledge to an amount less than what you have already contributed, or lower than claim amounts submitted year to date.
- If you cancel or waive coverage, you must attest on the 2020 Benefit Change Form stating you:
- have other medical coverage
- OR will immediately enroll in medical coverage
- NAU will not be allowing midyear changes after December 31, 2020 unless you experience a qualified life event.
How to make a midyear change Accordion Open
- Complete the 2020 Benefit Change Form (fillable version)
- Submit completed form to NAUHRBenefits@nau.edu
- When adding qualified dependents HR may ask for supporting documentation such as a birth certificate, marriage license or other documentation.
- Plan changes will be effective first of the pay period from the date HR received your 2020 Benefit Change Form. Payroll Schedule
Frequently Asked Questions Accordion Closed
What do I need to make a midyear change?
To complete all fields on the 2020 Benefit Change form. In addition HR may ask for supporting documentation for newly added dependents.
What does this mean?
This is an unique IRS exception for health care plan changes outside of a qualified life event and only allowed through 12/31/2020.
Will I have this opportunity to make midyear changes next year?
No, this is a unique opportunity with the ability to add, drop or change health care plans for the remainder of the 2020 plan year. This opportunity will not be available for the 2021 plan year.
When will my midyear change be effective?
The first of the pay period from receiving your completed 2020 Benefit Plan Change Form.
Do I have to make midyear health plan changes?
No, you do not have to make any changes if you do not want to.
What if I’m experiencing a Qualified Life Event?
Please follow our Qualified Life Event process by submitting a QLE request form.
What happens if I change health plans (medical, dental and/or vision)?
A few things to think about before you switch medical, dental and/or vision plans.
- Deductible. If you you change medical plans your deductible may start over.
- For example if change from the NAU PPO to the State of AZ Aetna HDHP/HSA, your deductible will start over.
- Providers. If you change insurance plans you will want to research if you current providers/doctors accept the insurance you would like to switch to.
- Insurance cards/coverage. If you switch plans please keep in mind your coverage effective dates and have claims processed to the appropriate plan.
Qualified Life Events(QLE) Accordion Closed
Certain life events such as: marriage or birth of a child qualify you for a special enrollment period. In most cases, you will be required to submit supporting documentation confirming the reason for your qualified event.
Do not delay your request
To be eligible for this special enrollment period, you must request the change to your benefits and complete the enrollment process within 31 days of your QLE. Do not delay initiating your QLE request even if you are waiting to receive the required supporting documentation such as a birth certificate.
- Divorce and Ex-Spouse Coverage
Divorce is a QLE. You are REQUIRED to drop coverage for an ex-spouse within 31 days of the divorce decree.
Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act
Pursuant to the Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (CHIPRA), the following events are considered QLEs as of April 1, 2009:
- you or your dependent loses Medicaid/CHIPRA coverage
- you or your dependent becomes eligible for Medicaid/CHIPRA premium assistance
Under CHIPRA, you have 60 days following the event to request a change to your benefits plan.
Steps to enroll in or change (QLE) your benefits Accordion Closed
- Access LOUIE through NAU Homepage at.
- Click on Quick Links in the top right of the page and select LOUIE.
- Enter your User Id and Password.
- Select Self Service > Benefits > Benefits Enrollment.
- Click Select for the event displayed.
- Click Edit on each benefit to enroll in or change your election.
- Once you have completed your enrollments click Submit.
- Authorize your enrollments by clicking the final Submit.
Note: Your enrollment is not complete until you click the second (final) submit button to authorize your enrollment.
Failure to meet the 31-day deadline may:
- jeopardize your ability to make changes to your benefit plan
- result in the loss of coverage for you and/or your eligible dependent(s)
- result in the loss of COBRA rights for your dependent(s