Flagstaff has a wide range of weather, conditions, and biking opportunities. Keep yourself and others safe by being aware of your surroundings and following these tips.
Night riding Accordion Closed
If riding at night, you are required to equip your bike with the following:
- a headlight with a white light, visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet
- a rear red reflector or light, visible from fifty to three hundred feet
- for added safety, two white or yellow side reflectors, visible from both sides, are recommended
Inclement weather Accordion Closed
When riding in inclement weather, be aware of:
- increased stopping distance (wet rims reduce braking ability)
- decreased visibility for yourself and other motorists
- increased pedestrian traffic, which makes riding more hazardous
Eye contact Accordion Closed
When approaching turning motorists, make eye contact, but don’t assume they see you. Be prepared to yield, even if you have the right-of-way.
Protective gear Accordion Closed
Wear protective gear, particularly a helmet and brightly colored clothing.
Headphones Accordion Closed
Do not wear headphones. They reduce your ability to hear surrounding traffic.
Mutual respect Accordion Closed
Respect other road users and be considerate of them.
Plan ahead Accordion Closed
Know where you are going and how to get there. A thoughtful route selection can save you time and energy.
Manage my parking
Order permits, submit appeals, add vehicles to a permit, and more:
View NAU’s FY17 Bike Brochure.