We operate an emergency and information resource communication center staffed by trained emergency dispatchers. The center handles reports of all police, fire, medical, and other emergencies on campus and is staffed 24 hours daily.
Our communications systems and capabilities
- NAU’s Blue Emergency Phones located throughout campus are linked directly to NAUPD dispatch.
- Emergency phones located in the elevators are linked directly to NAUPD dispatch.
- Numerous intrusion, fire and trouble alarms throughout campus are monitored by the dispatch staff.
- The NAUPD Communications Center operates a state of the art Motorola SmartNet 800 MHz trunked radio system:
- This system allows direct communication with Flagstaff Police Department, Flagstaff Fire Department and Coconino County Sheriff’s Department permitting effective and efficient crisis operations management as the need arises.
- This system allows continued operation at the Flagstaff PD/Coconino County Communications Center in the case of emergency evacuation and vise-versa.
- The NAUPD Communications Center operates an Intergraph Public Safety map based Computer-Aided Dispatch (CAD) System through an intergovernmental agreement with Flagstaff Police Department. This system shares information between the Flagstaff Police Department, Coconino County Sheriff’s Department and NAUPD.
Information about calling for assistance
- Dial 911 for EMERGENCIES ONLY!!!!
- If you dial 911 by mistake, stay on the line and advise the dispatcher that it is NOT an emergency, simply an error. Do not hang up! You may be called back to verify that you are not in danger.
- Let the dispatcher ask you questions. Please be patient during the process. Your answers help in determining the priority of an incident, thus responding the best and most appropriate assistance.
- If you are in danger from, or uncomfortable with, someone who is nearby, simply answer the questions with a “yes” or “no”.
- STAY ON THE LINE WITH THE DISPATCHER until they advise you to hang up.
- Listen to the dispatcher’s instructions to you.