Our Special Event Services
The department provides a range of police services for high-attendance events and other special activities on campus. If your event or activity requires designated police personnel for security, traffic control, or other types of police service we are available at an hourly rate. Our range of services includes:
Uniformed Police Presence Accordion Closed
This service type is best used when a high-visibility police presence is needed or desired. Examples include:
- Monitoring venue entries and security screening checkpoints
- Securing entry points to restricted areas
- Intervening directly in observed criminal or suspicious activity
For this service, sworn police officers will be dressed in standard police uniforms. For high-capacity venues, this may include a traffic vest for enhanced visibility in crowds. Uniformed University Safety Aides may also be used in this role at the departments’ discretion, based on our assessment of your security needs.
Plainclothes Police Presence Accordion Closed
This service type is best used when a more subtle police presence is desired and appropriate to the situation. Generally, this service type is used for academically oriented events like a lecture or film screening. For this service, sworn police officers will be dressed in business attire with badges and police equipment visible.
Covert Police Presence Accordion Closed
This service type is reserved for situations where overt police presence is not desirable for the event in question. Officers assigned in this role are limited to surveillance of the event and immediate intervention in life-threatening circumstances. Their overall objective is the general security of the event.
If executive and/or dignitary protection service is required, we will coordinate with any entities assigned to that function with respect to university policies and protocols.
Officers assigned in this role will be dressed in attire which permits them to blend in with the event environment.
Traffic Control Accordion Closed
Police traffic control services are available to manage traffic demands on public roadways related to your event. Generally, we will require sworn officers for all traffic control points and will supplement them with Student Traffic Controllers if the position(s) require multiple personnel. Management of traffic within parking lots must be coordinated by University Transit Services, who staff event personnel independent of our process.
Specialty Equipment Accordion Closed
The police department has sign trailers, portable light towers, and traffic cones available for use during special events at flat-rate fees. If the traffic plan for your event requires the use of these items, we will include this cost in your quote. However, if you would like to request them independent of any traffic control needs, please include this information in your request.
Terms of Service Accordion Closed
- All NAU Police Department request forms must be submitted at least ten (10) days prior to the event date. A late notice fee of $75.00 will be applied to requests received with less than ten (10) days’ notice.
- ALL events require a three (3) hour minimum.
- Two (2) officers are required for most events. Special considerations may be made for small scale events (under 200 participants).
- If an event requires four (4) or more officers to work the same function/event at the same time, one (1) of the officers must be a supervisor (Sergeant or Corporal).
- If an event requires four (4) or more student workers to work the same function/event at the same time, one (1) officer must be present for student staff supervision.
- If a request needs to be cancelled, the NAU Police Department requires twenty-four (24) hours’ notice. If proper cancellation notice is not provided, a three (3) hour minimum payment will be required per officer requested.
- Law enforcement personnel hired for special duty assignments have specific law enforcement functions and will not be considered employees or agents of the hiring entity.
- The special duty assignment may be ended, or conditions imposed, at any time by the Chief of Police or designee. Additionally, the Chief of Police or designee has the authority to order any police officer to vacate or terminate any function/event in response to emergency situations or whenever the assignment creates an unacceptable risk to the health, safety, and welfare of the police officer and/or the public.
- The NAU Police Department reserves the right to require additional officers and/or equipment during special events to ensure the safety for all participants and staff. Client(s) will be informed of additional needs during the initial event request review conducted by the NAU Police Department. Additional costs will be incurred by the client(s) at the below rates.
- Events may be unapproved and unauthorized from occurring if parties fail to adhere to recommendations made by the NAU Police Department.
Our Service Rates
Personnel Billing Rates
*Please Note: These rate estimates include the employee’s wages and an 85% allowance for employee-related expenses (employer benefit premiums, etc.). Actual rates will vary and based on the assigned employee’s rank and time-in-service. These rate estimates are provided for your reference only.
|Employee Type||Average Billing Rate|
|Police Officers||$80 per hour|
|Police Supervisors||$95 per hour|
|Police Dispatchers||$65 per hour|
|Student Traffic Controllers||$25 per hour|
|University Safety Aides||$25 per hour|
*Please Note: The department may require operations planning and the use of special equipment based on the nature of your event. Operations planning and equipment rental are reimbursable at the following rates:
|Additional Equipment and Fees||Rate|
|Operational Planning Fee||$10.00 per planned event hour|
|Traffic Cones (up to 100)||$20.00 per event|
|Portable Light Tower||$50.00 per item, per event|
|Electronic Message Board||$50.00 per item, per event|