Service Branch Portals
Serving our Military-Connected students and families by focusing on exemplary service, professionalism, and respect.
Department of Defense Tuition Assistance
NAU is proud to offer a tuition rate of $250 per credit hour for all DODTA eligible undergraduate and graduate students! Please carefully read the steps contained on this page, or in the printable DODTA checklist.
This form works best in an incognito/private browser window
Your NAU Veteran and Military Success Center (VSC)
- The VSC is your one-stop-shop for transitioning to NAU, DODTA, and VA Benefits. We also provide a number of academic and career development programs. If you have any questions during your transition and throughout your academic career at NAU, please contact us!
Email: email@example.com Phone: 928-523-VETS(8387) | Fax: 928-523-8775
Steps to Complete
1. Accept Your Offer to NAU (if applicable) Accordion Closed
If this is your very first term at NAU, please log-in to accept your offer using your NAU User-ID and Password.
2. Complete Online Orientation Accordion Closed
If you are brand new to NAU or if you just need a refresher, please complete online orientation which provides important resources and information for enrolling in classes.
3. Apply to Receive Tuition Assistance (TA): Accordion Closed
- As a member of the armed forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard), you may be eligible for voluntary, off-duty education programs in support of personal and professional goals. The program is open to officers, warrant officers and enlisted active duty service personnel. In addition, members of the National Guard and Reserve Components may be eligible for TA based on their service eligibility.
- Learn more about tuition assistance by contacting your duty station Education Support office (ESO) and/or visit the DOD Website
- Courses will be considered eligible for TA if they are:
- Part of an individual’s evaluated education plan: or
- Prerequisites for courses within the individual’s evaluated education plan; or
- Required for acceptance into a higher-level degree program, unless otherwise specified by Service regulations.
All Military TA must be requested and approved prior to the start of the course. TA is approved on a course-by-course basis and only for the specific courses(s) and class dates. Ensure the class start and end dates are accurate.
4. Submit your TA Authorization form to NAU: Accordion Closed
- Once you receive your DODTA authorization form, Submit it to us. If you run into any issues on this step, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 928-523-8387
- Once the VSC receives your TA Authorization form, we will adjust your tuition rate to $250 per credit-hour. Please allow 5 business days for our office to process this tuition rate
- Submit your courses for VA Benefits through your LOUIE account.
- Please NOTE: All correspondence from our office as to receipt of your TA Authorization and for need to know items will be sent to your NAU student email address ONLY.
- NAU will then defer your tuition and will send an invoice for payment to your Military Branch of Service. NOTE: You will be responsible for paying anything outside of tuition, including course and institutional
- Please note: The adjusted $250 per credit rate is only eligible for the applicable term and courses listed on form. Each term a new TA Authorization form must be submitted to receive the TA rate for eligible courses.
5. Pay the fees due on your account: Accordion Closed
- Fees are not covered by TA. You will be responsible for paying anything outside of tuition, including course and institutional fees. You can make payments through your LOUIE account.
6. TA Free Pay Plans: Accordion Closed
- You have the option to opt into a free payment plan if needed to avoid late fees. This typically only applies to student’s enrolled in a course that does not begin until after the tuition due date e.g. a second 8-week course (Session B). Student can do this by completing the following:
- You must pay all class fees associated with the term in question.
- You must send an email request to us before the tuition due date requesting the free TA pay plan.
- You must also show that you are eligible for TA; this could simply be that you sent in a TA authorization for the first 8 week session or you may show a screen shot showing your TA eligibility.
- Once the fees are paid in full and TA eligibility is verified, our office will defer your tuition due date. NOTE: Tuition for session B will then be due 2 weeks prior to the first day of class which will allow time to send in your TA authorization.
Additional TA need to know items:
1. Cost verification forms Accordion Closed
- Some branches require this and some do not. If you do indeed need a Cost Verification form BEFORE you can get your DODTA authorization, please follow these steps.
- Send an email to: NAU Student Departmental Account Services from your NAU email address with the subject line “Cost Verification Request”. In the body of the messages include your name, student ID, and the term or classes for which you need the cost verification.
- Watch for an email in your NAU account from the NAU Third Party Billing Department. This will be the cost verification form and it is generally sent within 3 business days after your request.
2. Program plan/degree plan for your ESO Accordion Closed
- You may print out a full degree progression plan by visiting the catalog and choosing your major.
- If you require an official degree plan to include your transfer credits, please print this from your LOUIE account under the Academic Advising Report (AAR) tab or you may reach out to your academic advisor for further assistance.
3. TOP UP program Accordion Closed
- DODTA cannot be used with GI Bill® Chapter 1606 and is rarely allowed to be used in conjunction with GI Bill® Chapter 33 or Chapter 30.
- Using Top-Up benefits may be an option if you plan to use tuition assistance (TA) to complete a degree program while on active duty, and don’t plan to continue your education after service. Top-up can also be helpful for just taking a few courses with TA while on active duty. This way you can save most of your GI Bill benefits for after service to complete your education program.
- To learn more about TA Top Up visit their website.
4. Personalized Learning: Accordion Closed
- This program is a self-paced blend of traditional academic learning and real work experience. Designed for a less traditional more dynamic learning environment for students with the personal drive and time management skills capable of Student Veteran Checklist 4 making efficient use of this unique opportunity. However, this program is NOT covered by DODTA benefits.
5. Posting of grades Accordion Closed
Grades are posted within the allotted time designated by your branch of service via the student’s military service portal, links are provided in the right-hand column of this page. If your grade is not posted by the deadline, please call or email us.
- Dropping a Class before the add/drop date: If you drop your course before the deadline, no further action is needed as we will not invoice your branch of service if you are not enrolled in a class.
- Dropping a Class AFTER the add/drop date: If you drop a class after the add/drop date, you must send an email to with the name of the class(es) you are dropping and the reason. There may be financial implications associated with dropping class(es) after the add/drop date. Please feel free to contact the VSC for guidance in this
Reporting completed certificates or degree programs:
- NAU will report to the Service concerned those TA recipients who have completed a certificate or degree program. Reporting will occur at least annually and include the degree level, major, and program requirements completion date at minimum. Each service has specific reporting requirements. If your certificate or diploma is not reported in a timely manner, please email us.
6. Financial aid Accordion Closed
- All students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FAFSA determines your eligibility for federal student loans as well as state/federal grants (grants = money you do not pay back), and also is a requirement for many scholarships.
- Make sure to report any veteran/military benefits you will be receiving. Financial Aid is initially based on your “prior-prior year’s earnings.” If this doesn’t accurately reflect your income at the time you will be taking classes, talk with the VSC and we will provide information on the Financial Aid appeal process through the NAU Financial Aid Office to have your award reassessed.
- FAFSA opens October 1st each year. You will need to re-apply for FAFSA every October and the sooner you complete it, the better in terms of funding *We suggest marking your calendars as a reminder to do this each October!
7. Residency/in-state tuition rate: Accordion Closed
- A student is eligible for the $250 DODTA rate regardless of residency status once a TA Authorization form is submitted. However, if you reside in the state of Arizona and are taking in-person courses, you should complete the residency form in case you’re not eligible for the TA rate in future terms.
- Connect with as student mentor: Email us at email@example.com and we can get you connected with a mentor.
- Check out the following link anytime for other helpful resources during your NAU academic endeavor: https://in.nau.edu/veteran-and-military-services/resources/