Work with us
Join our team of high-caliber undergraduates
Hello and thank you for your interest in working with the Interdisciplinary Writing Program and the University Writing Commons. We are always excited to meet qualified candidates!
Please read the materials in the below boxes and follow the links to learn about our programs and the opportunities we offer. If you feel you would be a great fit for our programs, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be an IWP intern
We are pleased that you want to intern with NAU’s Interdisciplinary Writing Program! Come learn more about writing across the disciplines, work directly with teachers and students, and gain valuable experience in the many aspects of department goals, college administration, and event planning.
The Interdisciplinary Writing Program is a robust, fast-paced, never boring and always exciting work environment. Our veteran IWP interns are supportive and ready to train, assist, and to problem-solve. By the end of the internship, interns will have gained skills in understanding academic expectations, theoretically sound project designs, practical communication consultation, and interacting in a professional environment.
About the internship program:
This internship is a valuable, multi-tiered experience. You will work closely with the IWP Director, Nancy G. Barrón, to create projects that have a direct impact on student perception of writing, student control of their writing, direct student writing consultation, and influence faculty insights of writing expectations. In addition to working with students and faculty, interns have the opportunity to work with our Cline research librarians while they learn more about recursive research approaches. Our interns also learn about digital media as part of 21st century writing practices while assisting students with their projects, documents, and presentation materials. And just to make it a complete academic experience, the IWP interns also work with presentation skills as they provide input on how to polish material for a non-disciplinary audience. Did we mention that our interns are also involved with the creation and polishing of the IWP marketing materials, IWP blog, IWP website, and learning events such as the IWP’s Undergraduate Videogame Symposium, Riles Afters, NAU’s Undergraduate Research Symposium, the National Conference on Undergraduate Research, Beautiful Writing Series, and other events in which we participate. For more information, visit our Internship Program page.
- Attendance of the Internship Course (English 408 for Undergraduates and English 608 for Graduates) every term
- Ability to give time for meetings, project implementation, data collection and interpretation, and final professional presentations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. If you are unsure about your level of excellence, then…Great interest and curiosity of gaining excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Pride in team-work that lets you and others shine
- Great sense of humor and high level of self-forgiveness
- Curiosity about other disciplines and how they work without judging why they work as they do
Other coveted skills:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Apple programs is helpful
- Creativity, design experiences, media interests are a wonderful plus