I want to ...
- Return to the benefits homepage
- Review plan documents & policies
- Review FAQs about ending employment
- Exiting employee payroll information
COBRA Enrollment Questions
NAU COBRA Plans
State COBRA PlansArizona Department of Administration (ADOA) firstname.lastname@example.org 1-800-304-3687 or 602-542-5008
The federal law known as the Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act (COBRA) of 1985 requires that most employers sponsoring group health plans offer employees and their eligible dependents the opportunity for temporary extension of continuous coverage in instances when coverage under the plan would otherwise end.
COBRA benefits are managed through the Arizona Department of Administration (ADOA) and through NAU Human Resources.
- NAU Human Resources partnered with ASI COBRA administers COBRA for the NAU BCBSAZ medical plans.
- ADOA administers COBRA for all of the dental and vision plans and State of Arizona medical plans.
Enrollment Instructions Accordion Open
- To enroll in COBRA, please complete the COBRA Enrollment form and email to NAUHRBenefits@nau.edu.
- After NAU HR processes the enrollment form you will receive confirmation of enrollment and instructions on how to make your first payment.
- You will make your payment to ADOA for the dental, vision and State of Arizona medical plans.
- You will make your payment to ASI COBRA for NAU medical plans
Enrollment form Accordion Closed
NAU employees should use the 2022 COBRA Enrollment Form. Please ensure all fields are completed and accurate.
Important Information Accordion Closed
- Once enrolled, your coverage will be effective backdated to the first day that your coverage with NAU terminated, so ideally there will be no gap in coverage.
- How long COBRA coverage can be continued is based on the reason coverage with NAU is ending:
- 18 months – If you are leaving NAU or are no longer eligible for health care coverage
- 29 months – If your loss of coverage is a result of total disability
- 36 months – If a dependent loses coverage because they are no longer eligible for health care covers (divorce or child turning 26)
- COBRA is a continuation of your current health coverage. You must enroll in the same health plans that you had while employed at NAU,.
- Changing plans when enrolling in COBRA is not permitted.
- You are not required to enroll in all of the plans that you were enrolled in at NAU.
- For example, you can choose to enroll in your medical plan, and not enroll in dental and vision.
- When initially enrolling in COBRA, only dependents that were previously covered under your NAU plans may be enrolled in COBRA.
- If you experience a qualified life event, contact the plan administrator (ADOA for State plans or ASI COBRA for NAU plans) to make changes to your covered dependents.
- You can choose to not enroll dependents that were previously covered under your plans while employed at NAU.
- For example, if you previously had employee + spouse coverage, you can choose to enroll in employee only coverage for COBRA.
- Only active employees and non-Medicare retirees can be seen at Campus Health Services.
- Active employees and all non-medicare NAU retirees can utilize Employee Assistance and Wellness.