Health Care Savings Account
If you enroll in one of the High Deductible Health Plans (HDHP) NAU offers, you may be eligible to open a Health Care Savings Account (HSA) making it easier to pay for eligible health care expenses not covered by your medical dental or vision plans.
Benefits of an HSA
- Each pay period NAU contributes your account!
- You can also make pre-tax contributes to your account.
- You can pay for qualified expenses tax free.
- Unused funds rollover year to year.
- Your account is yours and goes with you if you leave NAU.
Amount you can contribute in 2023
Each year you can contribute up to the annual IRS limit less the amount NAU contributes.
- IRS Maximum: $3,850
- NAU Annual Contribution: $720
- Your maximum contribution: $3,130
- IRS Maximum: $7,750
- NAU Annual Contribution: $1,440
- Your maximum contribution: $6,310
If you are 55+ you can contribute an additional $1,000
Rules to remember
- You can’t have other health coverage that pays for out-of-pocket health care expenses before you meet your plan deductible including Medicare, TRICARE.
- You can’t have received Veterans Administration (VA) benefits or Indian Health Service (IHS) benefits in the three previous months.
- You or your spouse can’t have a Healthcare FSA or Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) in the same year that you have an HSA.
- You cannot be claimed as a dependent on another’s tax return.
Contact your HSA administrator for more information on how your HSA account will work.
- If you are enrolled in the NAU HDHP, visit the Health Equity website
- If you are enrolled in the State of AZ HDHP, visit the Optum website
Refer to IRS publication 969 for a complete list of eligible expenses and HSA rules.
Still have questions?
Contact the Benefits Team at email@example.com or call (928) 523-2223.