Recycling on Campus
There are Changes Coming to how NAU Recycles
As part of NAU’s sustainability journey, we are very excited to announce that we are revamping our indoor recycling and landfill bin system. This project is a collaboration between the student-led NAU Green Fund and the NAU administration. This revamp will streamline the system and will increase recycling on campus. Once deployed, we will be evaluating the effectiveness of the system and will make adjustments if needed. For questions about the new recycling system visit the Recycling Updates page.
Recycling in Flagstaff can get complicated, for more information on what is recyclable, look here.
At NAU, there are certain items that are unique. For more information on Special Recyclables, refer to this page.
Tips About Recycling At NAU
Recycling on campus Accordion Closed
- Keep it clean and dry—separate wet waste and food waste from recyclables.
- Look for the recycling symbol on bins.
- Refer to the City of Flagstaff’s recycling page to learn more about what can be recycled. Currently accepted materials are as follows: metal cans and pans (empty and clean), paper and cardboard (flatten boxes), plastic bottles, jugs, and jars only (no other plastics – no plastic cups/straws; no liquids; no organics).
Residence hall recycling Accordion Closed
- Separate recyclables from trash in the bins provided in your residence hall room.
- Deposit clean recyclable materials in outdoor recycling dumpsters.
- Trash needs to be put in the marked “trash” dumpsters located directly outside of the halls.
- Instead of buying trash bags, line your bins with used shopping bags.
Administrative and academic building recycling Accordion Closed
- Please put your recyclables in marked recycling bins.
- Deposit wet wastes and non-recyclable materials in a central waste repository on your floor’s lounge or in bathroom trash containers.
- Custodial crews collect recyclables from your office or classroom and bag this material for the recycling dumpster.
Think you’re a savvy recycler? Take the QUIZ and prove it. Then challenge your friends, family, and coworkers.