Composting efforts at the university dispose of campus waste more sustainably than traditional waste management systems. The university composts over 300,000 pounds of material, which prevents 250 metric tons of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere.
Watch Video: Composting at Northern Arizona University
Video Accessibility Instructions:
These video instructions are located directly above a YouTube video. Hit the DOWN arrow key until you hear the words FLASH START. Once the screen reader is inside the FLASH OBJECT, hit the TAB key about 7 times until you hear PLAY BUTTON a second time. Hit the Spacebar key to play the video. You can then hit the Spacebar key again to pause the video. Feel free to hit TAB and TAB+SHIFT to listen to all the buttons in the FLASH OBJECT. Sometimes the PLAY button and the PAUSE button will be listed as an UNLABLED BUTTON.
Campus composting partners
- Campus Dining separates and collects pre-consumer food materials in back-house operations.
- Facility Services works with student compost technicians to provide equipment expertise at the composting site. Compost technicians transport the majority of compost material to the composting site.
- Office of Sustainability
- NAU Green Fund
- Hooper Sustainability Award
- Office of the Vice President for Research
- Sustainable Communities graduate program
- First Year Seminar Program
- Garden Action Team