Hiring Department’s Instructions
Northern Arizona University is continually seeking qualified diverse employees and is committed to assisting with the employment process for a seamless experience for new employees. The remote hiring processing is designed for employees who will work at a remote location or online outside of the State of Arizona, but within the United States.
If the new employee can present his/her employment identity and authorization documents in person, even if they will be working remotely, please use the regular Hire Xpress (Compliance Center) online hiring process. Please refer all foreign nation employees to HR for processing.
Required Documents to be provided to the Remote Employee
Do not initiate an electronic hiring packet in PeopleSoft; instead, instruct the employee to complete the Remote Employee Hiring Packet. To prevent employment delays, please provide the following information to the remote employee via email or US Mail:
- The Remote Employee Hiring Packet – to be returned.
- Revised Form I-9 – to be returned.
- NAU Notary Public Form – to be returned.
- Remote Employee Instructions
- Remote Employee Hiring Process
Remote Employee Hiring Packet
The paper-based hiring packet that must be completed, signed and returned to HR within three days business of the remote employee’s first day of work to prevent any employment delays. The hiring packet can be printed out or downloaded and the remote employee must complete each section (see list below) of the hiring packet or it will not be accepted.
- Personal Information – your name, social security number, contact information, etc.
- Permanent Mailing Address – if different from your physical address.
- Emergency Contact
- Level of Education – the highest level of education you have completed.
- State and Federal Tax declarations
- Direct Deposit – refer to Attachment “A” on how to set up direct deposit as a remote employee.
- Selective Service – mark your certification.
- Affordable Care Action Information – attached as Attachment “B” at the end of your hiring packet.
- Conviction Disclosure – if applicable
- Veteran Status -declare your classification.
- Invitation to Self-Identity – select your ethnicity and race.
- Voluntary Self-Identity of Disability
- Loyalty Oath – mark option, enter Arizona County of your work location, your department and legal name.
- Final Instructions – review and refer to Remote Form I-9 processing below.
- Mailing Hiring Packet – where to mail your hiring packet using a secured mailing.
- Signature – with this signature you certify that the information you provided is true and correct.
Once the Remote Hiring Packet is completed by the employee, it must be returned to HR with the Form I-9 (see below) by the three business day following the employee’s start date.
Remote Form I-9
Federal Law requires that all employees establish identity and employment eligibility by completing and submitting the Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification. To comply with Federal law, the employee must complete the Form I-9 and return it to HR no later than the third business day following the employee’s start date. To help them meet this critical deadline, please provide the employee the following information via email or US Mail:
- Employee’s hire date.
- Deadline dates for the NAU Form I-9. The deadline for completing and returning the Form I-9 is the third business day following the employee’s start date.
- New revised Form I-9
- The webpage for the Remote Employee Instructions.
- The list of acceptable documents is attached at the bottom of this instruction packet to validate his/her employment identity and authorization.
- NAU participates in eVerify; therefore, any identification from LIST B must bear a photograph to be accepted.
- A point of contact in your department who can provide assistance should the employee have any questions.
- If an employee is unsure as to why you are requesting for the Form I-9 and his/her identifications, please refer to the Department of Homeland Security website for more information, www.uscis.gov.
Since the employee is not able to present their original documents to an on-campus representative, please instruct the remote employee to locate a notary in their local area (at their bank or public/county offices) to complete the new revised Form I-9 Section 2 and sign/seal the NAU Notary Public Form.
Please provide the following information to the employee:
- The webpage for the Notary’s Instructions.
- If you have established a relationship with a Notary in the employee’s local area, please provide that information to the employee.
Thank you for taking the time and taking these precise steps to ensure the employee understands and immediately follows through with the accurate completion and a timely submission of the Form I-9 and photocopies of the Acceptable Documents within the three business days of employment start date.
If you need immediate assistance or have any questions, please contact the Human Resources office at 928.523.2223 or email at HR.Contact@nau.edu.
Instruct the remote employee to mail his/her completed paper-based hiring packet, NAU Form I-9, NAU Notary Public Form and notarized photocopies of your employment identity and authorization documentation via secured mail service such as FedEx to:
Northern Arizona University
411 S. Beaver Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86011
The department may inquire or follow-up on the receipt of the remote employee’s documents with HR.