Procedures for Disagreement
ABOR policy 6-108 requires that administrators being reviewed shall be given the opportunity to:
- Add their comments to this statement as a part of the official written record, and
- In the event that the administrator being reviewed disagrees with the supervisor’s overall assessment of performance, and after discussing this with the supervisor or requesting changes, still disagrees with the final appraisal, the administrator who disagrees with the evaluation may request that the performance evaluation be reviewed at the next administrative level (see below). An administrator that refuses to sign the memo is not required to do so, but the supervisor shall note that a copy was provided to the administrator and the date.
Following are the steps in the request for further review process:
- Employee submits the request for review in writing within 15 calendar days after receipt of evaluation and includes the points of disagreement, specific findings to be reviewed, facts in support of the request and corrective action sought.
- This written request is submitted to the next administrative level, the university President, and copied to the supervisor, and to Human Resources or the Vice Provost for Academic Personnel (if dean or other faculty tenured administrator).*
- The reviewer shall consider the information in support of the request, identify any additional relevant facts, and provide a written decision to the employee and supervisor, copied to HR, within 15 calendar days.
*Human Resources’ role is to help determine the appropriate timelines/extensions, answer questions about the process or policy and ensure NAU is following proper procedure. The HR representative does not serve as a mediator or arbitrator and any change to the appraisal is solely at the discretion of the reviewer. In the case of a dean or other administrator with faculty tenure, the Vice Provost for Academic Personnel is the appropriate HR-related contact.