Events Integration with WordPress
Overview Accordion Open
Events are managed on the NAU Events Calendar and may be pulled into WordPress pages in a variety of ways. The important thing to remember is that all event info is sourced from the central calendar, so any event you want to display on your WordPress site must be added to this calendar first.
Example 01: Events page
This sample Event page illustrates how the integration works for a full Events page
How-To Accordion Closed
Submitting events to the NAU Events Calendar
Visit our NAU Events Information to learn how to submit events to the NAU Events Calendar.
NAU Events page
The Events page is a page that displays all events that match the selected keyword. The Events page includes a Find Events search feature.
Important: You must use the keyword feature on the event submission to nau.edu/events for your event to show up on your WordPress page.
To set up an Events page:
- Create a new page.
- Select NAU Events from the Template dropdown list.
- Click Publish to activate the template on the page.
The NAU Events panel appears.
- Enter the Event keyword(s) to filter in the field Keyword field.
- Click Update and preview the page.
To display events on a page or post, you must first create an Events View. The Events View custom Post generates an ID number, which is added to the event shortcode.
Create a new Event View
- Create a new Event View
- Click Add View from the Events View area.
- Name the Events View appropriately.
- Complete the fields as necessary.
- Click Publish.
Add an Event View to a page or post using the event shortcode
- Open the Event View you wish to add.
- Locate the ID for the Event View. The ID is the number that appears after “post=” in the URL field.
- Click Publish.
- Open the page or post where the Event View will be added.
- Click the event shortcode.
- Enter the ID number between the quotes of the [ event id=”” ] or between the two parts of the shortcode.
Event View field descriptions
Please note, you do not need to populate all or most of these fields. The Event View will work as long as one field is populated/selected that is not “Count”.
- Start and End dates limit the dates of the events
- Enter the Event keyword(s) to filter in the Keywords field
- The Category list comes from the NAU Events Calendar tool
- The Location list comes from the current Flagstaff interactive map
- The Count field limits the number of Event entries that appear
- Add multiple keywords separated by a space
- The Find Events search only searches within the keywords you added
- If the End date is left blank for Event Views, all events for the next year are included