- Screen your mailing list for unnecessary names, duplicates and incomplete addresses. NAU Postal Services can help you with this.
- Use “Certified” instead of “Registered” mail whenever possible. It costs less and still provides a receipt and notice of delivery to the sender.
- Do not over-insure. The USPS, UPS, and FedEx will pay only the actual value of an item, not the declared value.
- Use postcards for short messages or announcements. The cost is 1/3 less than ending an envelope.
- Combine mailings when possible into a larger envelope for distribution at the location.
- Use Business Reply envelopes provided by vendors, instead of department envelopes.
- FAX the information when time is crucial, instead of using Express mail.
- Request Library and Book rate whenever possible. Savings can be as much as 50% of the cost of 1st class mail.
- Use Intra-campus envelopes for on-campus mail. Use regular business envelopes for off-campus mailings only.
- Use Non-profit/Bulk Rate whenever possible, saving can be as much as 20 cents per mail piece.
- Use “Courtesy Reply” instead of “Business Reply” and save on first-class postage, plus 10 cent processing fee.
- Whenever possible, fold material in half and place in a 6×9 or #10 envelope to reduce postage.
For the following FREE items to assist you with your mailing needs:
- Intra-campus envelopes to be used for department on-campus mail only
- Recycled rubber-bands to bundle your outgoing mail
- USPS trays and tubs to send your outgoing mail to Postal Services for processing
- USPS specialty mail forms example: certified and insured USPS forms
- USPS Priority envelopes and boxes