Correctly addressing mail
- Capitalize everything using plain block letters. (No matter how legible your handwriting may be, machines have trouble reading script.)
- Omit all punctuation in the address, except hyphenate for the ZIP+4Code.
- Use the two-letter state abbreviations.
- Use complete and correct ZIP Codes or ZIP+4 Codes.
- Make sure that endorsements for special services are placed above the delivery address or below the return address.
Be sure to include:
- Recipient’s full name (and/or company name, if applicable)
- Street address
- Post office box number
- Rural route number and box number
- Highway contract route number and box number
For international mail include:
- The city or town
- Province or state name
- The foreign postal code
- The country name in capital letters on the last line of the address
- Include all the elements of the destination address
- Place the return address in the upper left corner of the mail piece