Paying for College
Yes, college is expensive, but it might not cost as much as you think. Plus, there’s lots of help—from scholarships to grants—which can make the cost realistic and affordable.
Types of Financial Aid
Scholarships Accordion Closed
Financial awards based on academic, financial need, or personal background don’t need to be repaid.
Grants Accordion Closed
To receive grant funding, you must fill out the FAFSA. These awards are calculated on financial need and don’t need to be repaid.
Loans Accordion Closed
Student loans are borrowed money that must be repaid, and there are lots of different kinds of loans. So, make sure you know all your options and responsibilities.
Work-Study Accordion Closed
When you fill out the FAFSA, you’ll also be considered for Federal Work-Study. The program helps students pay for college expenses through part-time employment—often on campus.
In addition, it’s important to remember that education is a long-term investment. Did you know, on average, college graduates earn twice as much as those with high school diplomas?
Below, you’ll find more resources to help you and your family plan and pay for college. Also, check out our Senior Launch Guide. It’s packed full of tips on how to pay for college.
Lastly, avoid scams. The Federal Trade Commission provides pointers.
And remember, your GEAR UP Coach is a great resource, too.
Scholarship and Financial Aid Resources
- Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Arizona’s Education Savings Plan
- Arizona Scholarships
- American Indian College Fund
- Arizona Community Foundation
- Dorrance Scholarship Programs
- Fastweb Scholarship Search Engine
- Flinn Foundation
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- Isac Amaya Foundation
- College Depot Scholarships
- Sallie Mae Bank
- Scholarships A-Z
- Unigo Scholarship Search Engine
Scholarships offered at public colleges in AZ
- Arizona State University Scholarships
- Northern Arizona University Scholarships
- University of Arizona Scholarships
- Arizona Western College
- Central Arizona College
- Cochise College
- Coconino Community College
- Diné College
- Eastern Arizona College
- Maricopa Community College System (Community Colleges in the Phoenix area)
- Mohave Community College
- Northland Pioneer College
- Pima Community College
- Tohono O’odham Community College
- Yavapai College