Students who are eligible for the Note-Taker Accommodation must register with Disability Resources for the semester they want to use the accommodation, and must also make a request for each class they require the accommodation.
Once the student is registered and requests a note-taker for the needed classes, the process for receiving notes is as follows:
- Disability Resources will seek out a willing note taker from the other students in your class.
- When a note taker volunteers, we will have them provide course notes directly to you.
- You may use an audio recorder until a Note-Taker has been secured.
- If you already know of someone you would like to take notes for you, you are responsible for sending that person to DR to sign a Note Taker contract.
- The student receiving services is responsible for informing Disability Resources should they or their Note-Taker drop the class.
- Class attendance is required of the student receiving notes.
- The student receiving services is responsible for informing Disability Resources if the notes they are receiving from their note taker are unsatisfactory.
Directions for requesting a note-taker
- Navigate to the Student Log-in to AXEss link on the Disability Resources homepage.
- On this screen, find and select the icon that says, “Course Notes”.
- You should now see the “Central Authentication Service” site where you will need to login with your NAU username and password.
- Once you are logged-in, find and select “Course/Notes” on the Note-Taking Program main screen.
- On this screen, select the correct term for which you are requesting note-takers using the drop down menu next to “Show Term”.
- Next, in the column labeled “I require a note-taker” select “change this” for each course in which you are requesting a note taker.
- Once you select “change this” a pop up screen will appear asking you to confirm that you are requesting a note taker for the course. Selecting
- “OK” will change the note taker request from “no” to “yes”.
- Next, in the column labeled “note-taker availability” you should see “None available at this time”. This indicates that we are looking for a note taker for your course.
- Once a note taker is selected you will see “selected” under “note-taker availability”. Staff from Disability Resources will contact you to provide you with the note taker’s contact information.
- Once you are finished make sure you log off the computer. This is an important step to ensure that no one can access your information when you leave the computer.