Needs and wants
It’s fun to consider all of the possibilities that come to light when given an environment with no restrictions. Reality, however, requires that we take into account outside factors that could otherwise influence our decision of a career. Some examples include:
- Time – Do you have a particular timeline to get a job, make a decision, and finish school?
- Geography – Do you want to live in a certain area?
- Financial – Do you have a certain salary range you want or require?
- Family – Do you have certain family obligations or considerations? These may impact your choice of organization and/or location.
- Cultural – Are there any special cultural traditions that will influence your choice?
- Legal – Are there any legal issues affecting your options?
- Work Environment – Is there a specific physical setting you desire in your work such as outdoor work or work that takes place in an office setting?