Property Claim Filing Procedures (Property Owned by NAU)
File all University-owned property claims according to Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-102, R2-10-104, R2-10-106.
The following procedures outline how to file a claim to repair or replace University-owned property damaged or stolen.
- Police Report: University-owned property damaged by vandalism/criminal activity or that is stolen, contact the local law enforcement agency to file a police report. At NAU, contact University Police Dispatch at 928-523-3611.
- Damage Report: University-owned property damage due to any other reason (i.e. weather related, frozen water pipes, flooding, handling, etc.) fill out the on-line Damage Report, located on the Risk Management web site. This report is not a police report and will be forwarded to the email@example.com e-mail for processing. If you have difficulty accessing this report or do not have access to a computer, contact Risk Management at 928-523-2009.
- 30-Day Deadline: Claims must be reported to NAU Risk Management within 30 days of discovery. Damages reported after the 30-day deadline are approved by exception.
- Documentation Required to File a Claim:
- University-Owned Personal Property Damage: This includes damage to NAU-owned moveable property such as computers, printers, desks, chairs, file cabinets, lab equipment, artwork, etc. State Risk Management requires two written estimates to repair personal property owned by NAU. In the event the property is non-repairable, State Risk Management will require a written technician’s report stating why the equipment is non-repairable. If equipment is non-repairable, provide the technician’s report; two estimates to replace like-type equipment; photograph(s) of the damaged equipment; and a copy of the invoice/purchase order verifying the equipment is NAU owned, the make/model of the equipment, and date of purchase. Write the claim number on all documents submitted.
- University-Owned Real Property Damage: This includes damage to buildings, permanent structures, fixtures, windows, etc. When using an outside vendor to repair damage, State Risk Management requires two written estimates from two separate vendors to repair damage to NAU-owned real property. Provide photographs of the damage. Write the claim number on all documents submitted.
- Theft of University Property: State Risk Management requires two written estimates to replace like-type (comparable) property owned by NAU; and a copy of the invoice/purchase order verifying the equipment is NAU owned, the make/model of the equipment, and date of purchase. Write the claim number on all documents submitted.
- Report all theft of inventoried NAU-owned property to Property Administration: All theft of NAU-owned property that is inventoried (tagged with a property control number), must be reported to the NAU police department and to Property Administration by filling out the Property Control Authorization (PCA) form. The PCA form must include the NAU police report number.
- Theft or Damage Memo Form: Risk Management will send the department a Damage to State Property or Theft of State Property form outlining the supporting documents required to submit a property claim. The department will send the form back to Risk Management, along with the required supporting documents. The form must include the Dept/Unit/FUND CODE numbers, a signature, and date signed prior to sending. This information is necessary to deposit the insurance settlement check when received.
- Settlement Check: Once the State adjuster has settled a claim, Risk Management will receive a State of Arizona insurance settlement check for damages or theft of University-owned property. Risk Management will deposit the check into the account provided by the department. The department representative will receive a copy of the Deposit Form.
For more information on Property Claim Filing Procedures, contact Risk Management, at (928) 523-2009.