FAAR Best Practices for Admins
Faculty lists and classifications (attributes about faculty) are uploaded at the end of each semester, and new faculty are added at the start for Fall and Spring semesters. The upload includes people that taught part-time and all full-time faculty.
Emulate User. You can emulate a user by going to Administration → Tools → Emulate User and finding the right person to emulate. When you emulate a user, you see the user’s FAAR record as they do. This can help you assist with questions and access items specific to the user. Add Emulate User as a quicklink for faster access.
Faculty picker lists show full-time faculty by default. Change the status to “All Active” if you want to see staff and part-time faculty.
Statement of Expectations
Sending and re-opening the SOE
The SOEs are initiated via the Communication area by the deans’ offices. If SOEs haven’t been initiated, please contact your college FAAR liaison. However, creating or re-opening an SOE can be done by any admin, but must be done carefully:
- Go to Administration → Communication → Faculty Classification Form.
- Set the start semester as Fall 20xx and the End Semester as Spring 20xx (e.g. Fall 2018 – Spring 2019). Do not ever use “Ongoing”.
- Click Statement of Expectations as the input form to send.
- Set an expiration and due date if you’d like, and whether an email is sent. Expiration is when it disappears from the the user’s dashboard. Note: As of July 2018, forms on the Action Item List or not deletable, thus expiration dates are a good idea.
- Select the names to whom you are sending the SOE. This should be the last step; doing other steps after selecting names may clear out the name selections.
A chair or director can do bulk approvals through the following steps:
- Go to Administration → Input Classification
- Select “SoE Administrative Approval (Chair)” as the input form. Do not select Statement of Expectations, as that will not show approval selections.
- Select Fall 20xx as the start semester.
- Select faculty by clicking on individual names using Ctrl button or select the whole list. Too many selections can make the report run slowly.
- Click Multiple to see everyone at once, or Individual to see them one at a time.
- You can see which faculty have submitted SOEs because there will be text entered and a submission date.
- Indicate approval through the pull-down choice next to the faculty name. Press Submit.
The workload form is created and sent to faculty centrally by the Office of the Provost at the end of each semester. Summer workloads are sent by request.
Chairs/directors can approve faculty workloads after submission by faculty. This can be done any time after faculty submit the form, well before the actual review period.
- Go to Administration → Approve faculty Input
- For the term you wish to approve (e.g., Fall 2016), click on the eye icon under Actions.
- Click on the eye icon under View and Approve for anyone who has submitted their workload.
- If the workload is correct, click Approve at the top of the form.
- If the workload needs revision, click Return for Revision (wording may vary).
- In this area you may send e-mail reminders if needed.
Annual Reviews and Recommendations
The Office of the Provost creates reviews centrally according to lists provided by each college. Directors should work with individual faculty members to ensure that their review materials are clear and well organized. Go to nau.edu/provost/reviews-tenure/ to view the Personnel Action Calendar for deadlines.
Sending Sabbatical/P&T Forms
For any faculty members who are seeking to apply for a sabbatical or action in promotion and/or tenure, you can send them the appropriate forms via FAAR at any time. The dean’s office may initiate this step. Follow these steps:
- Go to Administration → Communication → Faculty Classification Form.
- Choose the term in which the application will be reviewed
- Choose the appropriate Custom Form (P&T or Sabbatical) and set an expiration date.
- Select the faculty member(s).
- Click Send in the lower right. The faculty member will receive the form on their Action Item list.
Evaluations will commence formally when faculty members submit their self-evaluation in FAAR, locking the CV for future reviewers.
- On the Dashboard Action Item list click Complete Evaluation: [Evaluation Name]. You can also go to Faculty → Evaluations → Perform Evaluations and click Evaluate.
- Click the SOE eyeball to view it. Note: The Fall/Winter/Spring terms in SOE will likely show the same information, since SOEs are for the full academic year.
- Click the CV eyeball to view activities within the terms of interest. Evaluations from previous review steps are at the end of the CV.
- Click the Evaluate button to evaluate each person. Text entry is preferred over having only an attachment.
- Only Evaluation Authors (e.g. Dept Chair, Head of FSC/ARC) will see the Evaluate button. See part C of the next section if you need an alternate committee member to be able to submit the review for evaluating the chair of the committee.
- Select check-boxes and press Submit Selected Evaluations when finished.
Adding FSC/ARC names to Evaluations
After evaluations are spawned by the Office of the Provost, the FSC/ARC evaluation will have old or no evaluator names. The college should work to delegate the process of getting FSC committee names into all FSC evaluations.
- Go to Administration → Evaluations, and navigate to the evaluation of interest by using the years and “FSC” in the search box. Click the pencil icon.
- Under “2 Assign Evaluators & Schedule” click the # Faculty Selected (or Select Faculty) button next to Evaluators. Choose all the committee members. When they are in the right-side box, you’ll click Select # Faculty.
- Next click the # Faculty Selected (or Select Faculty) button next to Evaluation Authors. Choose the committee chair, and if applicable (i.e., if the chair is getting evaluated in this group), choose a back-up author. You’ll need to follow the directions below (starting from step C.3) to complete the back-up author setup process.
- Click Save.
Re-opening, Extensions, and Author Settings
Department admins have access to the evaluation setups for their faculty. Go to Administration → Evaluations, and navigate to the evaluation of interest using the search box or drop down boxes. The following changes can be made:
A. Re-open a submitted evaluation: If the due date has not passed, click the #/# link, check the box next to the person, and press Unsubmit Selected Evaluations.
B.Extend an evaluation: Click the edit pencil icon.
- To extend the due date for everyone, change the Due Date & Time in “2 Assign Evaluators & Schedule.” Click Save.
- To extend the due date for one person, click Author Settings button and enter a new due date/time in “B Time Due” next to the person’s name. Click Save twice.
C. Assign a different author/submitter for the FSC/Arc Chair: Click the edit pencil icon.
- Under “2 Assign Evaluators & Schedule” click Faculty Selected button next to Evaluation Authors.
- Choose the second committee member who will submit the committee chair’s evaluation.
- Save the evaluation, then click the edit icon again.
- Click Author Settings.
- In the column for the chair, select “Author” for everyone except their own name, where “Evaluator” should be selected instead. In the column for the alternate submitter, select “Evaluator” for everyone except the chair, selecting “Author” instead.
- Click Save twice to save all changes.
D. Allow a Collaborative Evaluation: This allows all evaluators to modify the evaluation form, but only the author can submit the form. Only one author is allowed in this case. Under “2 Assign Evaluators & Schedule” click the checkbox next to Collaborative Evaluation. Click Save.
External Evaluator Letters
Admins can create an evaluation placeholder for reviewers to see confidential external letters related to promotion and/or tenure.
- Go to Admin → Administration → Evaluations. At the bottom, click Add.
- Click radio button “Do not use a template.”
- Set the following settings:
- Evaluation process: select [current AY] Promotion/Tenure Review [area/program for most departments; a few have faculty at the division level].
- Title: External evaluations [current year].
- Type: Tenure and Promotion (use for all).
- Access to Evaluations: Click Restrict for “Faculty can view these results.” This will prevent faculty from viewing the letters.
- Faculty Being Evaluated: Click Select faculty and select names of all being evaluated.
- Set appropriate start and end date matching dates of the P&T review.
- Evaluator and Evaluation author: select yourself for both (or whoever has the letters).
- DO NOT select any forms. Now save the evaluation.
- Whoever will attach letters should click the external evaluations link on their Action Item list.
- Click Evaluate next to faculty member.
- Upload external letters in the Attachment section.
- Save, and when finished make sure to click the check boxes and press Submit Selected Evaluations.
Best practices for Annual Reviews
- Paste the decision into the text box in addition to attaching the letter in the evaluation.
- Tip: The “In Process Only” option and the Search box are useful to filter evaluations.
- Evaluations should only have one author unless author settings are used as described above. If not, there will be duplicate unnecessary evaluations.
- For external evaluation letters, make sure to click restrict next to “Faculty can view these results.” You can check this worked by emulating the faculty member and looking at their CV to see if the evaluation is hidden.
Going to Administration > Reports allows chairs, directors, and college administrators to report on faculty activity and qualifications for accreditation.
Scholarly Activity Reporting
- In the reports section, go to Scholarly Activities under Activity Reports.
- Choose an activity, or keep the “All” selection.
- Change the terms to the semesters of interest.
- Optionally, apply a filter based on an activity classification.
- Press Build Report.
- You’ll now see counts by unit. Click the grand total number in the bottom right to see counts by faculty. Click the grand total number again to see a listing of activities.
- From the listing, you can add columns showing faculty selections for certain activity classifications.
An evaluation process holds all evaluations of a faculty group (e.g. NTT, Tenure-track, Post-tenure) for an evaluation period. The process holds evaluations for self, FSC/ARC, chair, dean, etc. In the reports section, go to Evaluations under Administrative Reports. You may need to request access to this report.
- Choose dates during which the evaluation would have been submitted.
- Pick faculty as needed.
- Press Build Report
- You’ll see three columns. Click the Total number in any column:
- Evaluation Titles shows rows for each evaluation type (self, chair, etc.). Click a number in the Total Evaluations column to see results for all people in a single evaluation type. This view is best for looking at scores, but you can only do one department and evaluation type at a time.
- Faculty Being Evaluated shows rows for each evaluation process and person. Click a number in the Total Evaluations column to see the results of all evaluations of a single person in a single evaluation process.
- Total Number of Faculty Evaluations shows rows for each person/process/evaluation combination. This is the most granular view, where you can see due dates, number of evaluators, and submission status. This view is good for error checking purposes.
Qualifications & Accreditation
The Reports area has sections for AACSB, ABET, NCATE-CAEP, and Regional accreditation. This allows for checking and updating faculty qualifications for accreditation purposes.
- Go to Administration → Reports → Click report of interest.
- Choose terms and faculty of interest. Click Build Report.
- You will see a summary of accreditation-related data as entered in FAAR by faculty.
- For reports that show the degrees, if the degree is hyperlinked, that means a transcript is available.
- In Faculty Roster: the last two columns document graduate credits or qualification through exception (experience). There are three ways to update these columns:
- Click the dash and input the text in the pop-up box, then Submit.
- Use Administration → Input Classifications and choose HLC: Qualifications as the input form. Choose the term, people, and whether you want to view all or individual.
- Send the form to faculty to complete through Admin → Communication → Dashboard Message – Faculty Classification Form. Click the HLC: Qualifications form, then choose the faculty to send to.