Brenda Charley, Chair
Community Advisory Board
The Community Advisory Board (CAB) is comprised of American Indian (AI) leaders and healthcare professionals serving in AI communities. CAB members are recognized leaders and decision makers within the tribal communities they represent.
The CAB serves as a partner with CAIR faculty and staff through advising, recommendations, and assistance with:
- Developing new community partners in tribal communities
- Assisting with the design of tribally-specific community resiliency CEOC activities
- Advising researchers and sharing results to tribal communities
- Recruitment of students for summer research education and core training
- Brenda Charley, CAB Chair –Public Health Educator-Nutrition and Obesity Education Prevention, Coconino County Public Health Services District
- Carlyle Begay – Former Elected Senator to the State Legislator
- Filmer Lalio, MEd – Director, Native American Serving Non-Tribal Institutions, New Mexico State University
- Elmer J. Guy, PhD – President of the Navajo Technical University
- Mae-Gilene Begay, MSW – Program Director for CHR/Outreach, Navajo Division of Health
- Miguel Flores – Counselor/Traditional Healer, Behavioral Health Program, Tucson Indian Health Services; Spiritual Counselor/ Consultant, Desert Visions Youth Treatment Wellness Center; Consultant/Traditional Healer, Tohono O’odham Nation Division of Behavioral Health
- Taryn Watson – Diabetes Prevention Manager, Gila River Health Care
- Marcy Averill – Operations Director, Spirit of Eagles, Mayo Clinic.