1. American Nutrition Association. (2011). USDA defines food deserts. Retrieved from https://americannutritionassociation.org/newsletter/usda-defines-food-deserts
2. Artiga, S., Agruello, R., Duckett, P. (2013). Health Coverage and Care for American Indians and Alaska Natives. Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. Retrieved from https://kff.org/disparities-policy/issue-brief/health-coverage-and-care-for-american-indians-and-alaska-natives/view/footnotes/#footnote-88345-1
3. Block, J., Scribner, R., DeSalvo, K. (2004). Fast food, race/ethnicity, and income: A geographic analysis. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 27(3), 211-217. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2004.06.007
4. Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2013). Labor force characteristics by race and ethnicity. Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/race-and-ethnicity/archive/race_ethnicity_2012.pdf
5. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2011). Develop SMART Objectives. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/phcommunities/resourcekit/evaluate/smart_objectives.html
6. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2014). Definitions. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/socialdeterminants/definitions.html
7. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2015). Infant mortality statistics from the 2013 period linked birth/infant death data set. National Vital Statistics Reports. Table 1. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_09.pdf
8. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2016). Health-Related Quality of Life (HRQOL): Well-being concepts. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/hrqol/wellbeing.htm
9. Chilton, M., & Rose, D. (2009). A rights-based approach to food insecurity in the United States. American Journal of Public Health, 99(7), 1203–1211. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.130229
10. Community Toolbox. (2016). SWOT analysis: Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. Retrieved from https://ctb.ku.edu/en/table-of-contents/assessment/assessing-community-needs-and-resources/swot-analysis/main
11. Cook Inlet Tribal Council (CITC). (2016). Tribal vocational rehabilitation. Retrieved from https://citci.org/employment-training/tribal-vocational-rehabilitation-tvr/
12. Department of Health and Human Services, Indian Health Service. (2013). Fiscal Year 2014 Justification of Estimates for Appropriations Committees, March 12, 2013. Retrieved at https://www.ihs.gov/budgetformulation/includes/themes/newihstheme/documents/FY2014BudgetJustification.pdf
13. First Nations Development Institute. (2014). Food systems and implications for economic development [Fact Sheet]. Retrieved from https://www.firstnations.org/knowledge-center/foods-health/resources/fact-sheets-1
14. Forquera, R. (2001). Urban Indian Health. Retrieved from https://kaiserfamilyfoundation.files.wordpress.com/2001/10/6326urbanindianhealth.pdf
15. Fox E. & Borner V. (2012). Health Care Coverage and Income of American Indians and Alaska Natives: A comparative analysis of 33 states with Indian Health Service Funded Programs, for Tribal Affairs: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Retrieved from https://www.crihb.org/files/Health_care_coverage_and_income_of_aians.pdf
16. Fox E. (2011). Health Care Reform: Tracking Tribal, Federal, and State Implementation, Tribal Affairs Group, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Retrieved from https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/American-Indian-Alaska-Native/AIAN/Downloads/CMSHealthCareReform5202011.pdf
17. Government Accountability Office, Washington DC, Indian Health Service. (2005) Health Care Services Are Not Always Available to Native Americans, GAO-05-789. Retrieved from https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-05-789
18. Hardy, L. J., Figueroa, A., Hughes, A., Hulen, E., Corrales, C., Scranton, R., Begay, C. (2014). Toolkit for community-engaged wellness mapping. CES4Health.info.
19. Harrington C. (2012). American Indian Entrepreneurship: A Case For Sustainability, Journal of Leadership, Management, and Organizational Studies. Retrieved from https://www.scientificjournals.org/journals2012/articles/1533.pdf
20. Health Education and Training Institute (HETI). (2017). Cultural Awareness. Retrieved from https://www.heti.nsw.gov.au/International-medical-graduate/Cultural-Awareness/
21. Indian Health Service (IHS). (2016). Disparities and mortality disparity rate. Retrieved from https://www.ihs.gov/newsroom/factsheets/disparities/
22. Indian Health Services (IHS). (2011). Indian health surveillance report: Sexually transmitted diseases 2011. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/std/stats/ihs/ihs-surv-report-2011_062314.pdf
23. Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured analysis of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Survey Data (BRFSS). (2011). Retrieved from https://kff.org/disparities-policy/issue-brief/health-coverage-and-care-for-american-indians-and-alaska-natives/view/footnotes/
24. Kwate, N. (2008). Fried chicken and fresh apples: Racial segregation as a fundamental cause of fast food density in black neighborhoods. Health and Place. 14(1), 32-44. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2007.04.001
25. Leadership for Healthy Communities. (2010). Overweight and Obesity Among American Indian and Alaska Native Youths. Retrieved from https://www.apa.org/pi/oema/resources/ethnicity-health/native-american/obesity.
26. National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Division of Violence Prevention. (2012) Suicide: Facts at a glance. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/suicide/facts/index.html
27. National Indian Gaming Association. (2009). Economic Impact Report. Retrieved from https://www.indiangaming.org/info/NIGA_2009_Economic_Impact_Report.pdf
28. Native American Aid. (2015). Living conditions. Retrieved from https://www.nrcprograms.org/site/PageServer?pagename=naa_livingconditions
29. Smoyer-Tomic, K., Spence, J., Raine, K., Amrhein, C., Cameron, N., Yasenovskiy, V., Cutumisu, N., Hemphill, E., Healy, J. (2008). The association between neighborhood socioeconomic status and exposure to supermarkets and fast food outlets. Health and Place,14(4), 740–754 https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2007.12.001
30. St. Luke’s Health Initiatives (SLHI) & Elemental Group, LLC. (2015). Creating resilient communities workbook. Retrieved from https://vitalysthealth.org/workbook-creating-resilient-communities/
31. Tribal Leader Letter, Dr. Roubideaux provides an update on Contract Health Services (CHS) Program increases for referrals for prevention services as a follow-up to the Tribal Leader Letter dated August 2, 2012, Department of Health and Human Services, Indian Health Service, (January 15, 2013), available at: https://www.ihs.gov/newsroom/includes/themes/newihstheme/display_objects/documents/2013_Letters/01-15-2013_DTLL_FollowupCHSPreventionServices.pdf
32. U.S. Census Bureau. (2015). FFF: American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month: November 2015. Retrieved from https://www.census.gov/newsroom/facts-for-features/2015/cb15-ff22.html
33. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (USHHS). (2009). Healthy People 2020 Draft. U.S. Government Printing Office.
34. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health. (2015). Infant Mortality and American Indians/Alaska Natives. Retrieved from https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/browse.aspx?lvl=4&lvlid=38
35. Vernon, I.S. (2001). Prevention of HIV/AIDS in Native American communities: Promising interventions. Public Health Reports 2002., 117, s96-s103.
36. Vernon, I.S. (2004). The changing face of HIV/AIDS among native populations. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 2005, 37(3), 247-255.
37. Virginia Department of Health. (2013). What is health inequity. Retrieved from https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/OMHHE/healthequity/unnaturalcauses/healthequity.htm
38. World Health Organization (WHO). (2016). Track 1 – Community empowerment: 7th global conference on Health Promotion. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/healthpromotion/conferences/7gchp/track1/en/
39. World Health Organization (WHO). (2017a). Constitution of WHO: Principles. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/about/governance/constitution
40. World Health Organization (WHO). (2017b). Social determinants of health. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/social_determinants/en/