Faculty and staff reporting resources
Employees are required to consult with the Office of the Dean of Students at 928-523-5181 the Equity and Access Office at 928-523-3312, or the Office of Title IX Compliance & Institutional Response to Sexual Misconduct at TitleIX@nau.edu concerning all reports of possible sexual misconduct issues and must report all disclosures using the Sexual Misconduct Incident Report.
If you are approached by a student who believes that sexual harassment, assault, or violence has occurred, you should provide the student with the following information:
- Refer students to the appropriate resources.
- Explain that you cannot guarantee confidentiality due to the University’s concern for campus safety, but that you will respect their privacy and only pass on information on a need-to-know basis. Employees are required to consult with the Equity and Access Office at 928-523-3312, Office of the Dean of Students at 928-523-5181, or the Office of Title IX Compliance & Institutional Response to Sexual Misconduct at TitleIX@nau.edu concerning all reports of possible Title IX issues.
- Explain that retaliation or retribution of ANY kind taken against an individual as a result of that person filing a complaint, requesting information, cooperating in an investigation, or otherwise participating in these reporting procedures is strictly prohibited.
- Explain that the student can:
- Speak with confidential resources such as Counseling Services, 928-523-2261, who can explain processes and services in a confidential manner. The student can use these services even if they do not wish to file a complaint.
- File a criminal complaint. Victims may pursue criminal charges by contacting NAUPD at 911.
- Contact Northern Arizona Center Against Sexual Assault (NACASA) at 928-213-6112 to schedule a forensic exam (rape kit) or Victim Witness Services at 928-856-7676 to better understand both criminal and university administrative options.
- File a complaint under the Student Code of Conduct. Victims may pursue administrative complaints alone or in conjunction with a criminal complaint through the Student Code of Conduct by contacting the Office of the Dean of Students at 928-523-5181.
- The Office of Title IX Compliance & Institutional Response to Sexual Misconduct partners with various offices to offer supportive measures and collaborates campus-wide to implement these services, such as removing affected students from a shared class, providing mutual no-contact orders, or assistance in relocation within the residence halls, as appropriate.
- Follow reporting requirements outlined in the Sexual Misconduct Policy or Nondiscrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy.