Our Environmental Direction – and what it means for NAU
At Printing Services, we have a huge opportunity to influence the ecological impact of not only our department, but of the entire university. We continually review and adapt our processes to reflect our care and stewardship of the environment – from the initial ordering process all the way to delivery of your project and beyond.
Listed below are our sustainability efforts from start to finish in our ordering process. But first . . .
Northern Arizona University’s 2019 Sustainable Leadership Awards
We are honored to announce the Office of Sustainability has awarded Printing Services with the 2019 Greenest Office of the Year Trophy.
We have also proudly earned the NAU Project/Organization Award Certificate.
How can you help us and our community with our sustainability efforts?
- Return banners, fabric, and corrugated signage to Printing Services at end of life for upcycling – let us know when you are ready to return large format projects and on our next delivery we will pick them up for you
- Request FSC and Post-Consumer Waste Stock
- Choose our non-toxic 100% PCW merchandise wrap over plastic shrink wrap when ordering manuals and other items usually shrink wrapped
- Digitally sign and send estimate approvals via email rather than printing, signing and scanning.
The front office is where we collect your printing orders. Our efforts to create paper waste efficiencies have also resulted in saved time overall. Check it out – we:
- Print our order tickets double-sided on 100% recycled paper.
- Digitally archive quotes and estimates rather than print them.
- Turned off our fax machine, reducing fax spam. Let’s face it, anybody offering a loan via fax doesn’t know what century it is.
- Use scrap paper for notes and doodling. Did you know doodling is good for the brain?
- Our digital storefront and custom estimate request forms are ways for us to quickly gather all the information and approvals we need to help you with your project without using paper.
Digital Print Center
Paper stock is as important as paper usage. In our Digital Print Center all of our house stock is FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified and some is partially or all PCW (post-consumer waste) content.
- We recently switched our standard copy paper from 30% PCW to 100% PCW. 100% PCW means the paper is 100% recycled and no live trees were used to make the paper! At 450,000 sheets a year, that makes a big impact.
- The Forest Stewardship Council is an organization that works to promote the practice of sustainable forestry worldwide.
Sometimes projects go out to our Print Partners. All have gone through a review process and must meet specific standards outlined by the university.
- All are FSC Certified, which means they are audited by the FSC. FSC Chain-of-Custody certification traces the path of products from forests through the supply chain, verifying that FSC-certified material is identified or kept separated from non-certified material throughout the chain. (FSC)
- They are locally based in Arizona
- All use soy and vegetable-based inks – and most use the newest technology that minimizes chemicals, plates and VOCs (volatile organic compounds)
- Do you like that suede feel on your brochures and booklets? Our print partners use soft touch coating that is water-based, recyclable, and non-toxic.
- One of our contractors is a certified EPA Green Power Partner.
Large Format Department
Most banners, posters and signage are created in our Large Format Department.
- Our long-term signage and wall graphics are made of 3M Vinyl and overlaminate that is non-PVC and phthalate-free. They contain no added chlorine or halogens and are manufactured using 58% less solvents than standard films and are made in part of bio-based material.
- Some of our sign boards are recyclable – we are in the process of making most of our sign boards 100% recyclable. Both large format printers use water-based inks (not harmful solvent) and are Energy Star Certified
- We are looking to repurpose sign waste (used coroplast) and to collecting and repurposing signage
- Let us know if you have old banners – we will pick them up the next time you have a print project delivered. We are currently looking into upcycling projects using vinyl!
Bindery is where we cut, fold, and finish your project.
- We are phasing out the use of plastic shrink wrap and replacing it with merchandise wrap using non-toxic 100# PCW kraft paper sleeves and 100% PCW identification labels.
- We use scrap paper that would otherwise go to the landfill to make notepads. If we have these repurposed courtesy notepads on hand when you place a job request, you will receive a pad with your order!
Staging and Delivery
Staging and Delivery is where we check in inventory, box, and deliver your product.
- We repurpose and reuse supplier and vendor packaging including paper boxes whenever possible.
- You may have noticed our most recent change upon job delivery – the switch to a paperless digital delivery system. We no longer use NCR paper for delivery receipts.