Obtaining a Monsoon account
To obtain an account on monsoon, you must either be faculty, or a student being sponsored by a faculty conducting research at NAU.
Account Creation Process
Our account creation process consists of a couple of steps, which are normally pretty painless!
Firstly, you’ll want to request an HPC account here. The link takes you to an OnBase form which can be picky about the browser that is viewing it. Ensure you are using a modern supported browser such as one listed here. While filling out the form you must specify a faculty sponsor. The sponsor will be the person that will approve this account. Faculty should not be required to specify a sponsor.
Once the form has been approved, Monsoon staff will create a provisional account, usually within 24 hours. (Affiliate accounts will take additional time to progress through the process due to them requiring CIO approval.) When the account is created, a welcome email will be sent to your primary NAU email address, and you’ll have two weeks to validate your account through the self-paced workshop process.
Self-paced Workshop Process
After the provisional account has been created, and . You will have two weeks to validate your account by completing our introductory orientation training.
- NAU’s AnyConnect VPN: required to access both Monsoon, and workshop media, from off-campus.
- Review the introductory workshop media and complete the four exercises.
- Slides: Our primary workshop resource. [PDF; required]
- Zoom workshop recording: A recording of recent “live” workshop (Note: onscreen annotations to communicate recent changes since that workshop). [MP4; supplementary]
- OnDemand web-portal walk-through video: A walk-through of the features of the OnDemand portal. [MP4; supplementary]
- Validate your account so that it doesn’t expire, using the output generated by the workshop exercises. The validation process is explained in the next section.
Because the introductory workshop is now fully self-guided, a user is able to immediately self-validate their account upon completion of the required exercises.
To access the validation binary, and complete the validation you will need to execute the ‘confirm_user’ command (which is part of the ‘workshop’ module) and paste in the individual codes obtained from the exercises, as demonstrated here:
$ module load workshop
exercise 1 code: 104b0c020063c4b666c376480260f14c
exercise 2 code: b542e82782e8af2663f243d39ec1751c
exercise 4 code: 0659f7fc71a24040c54e8a69c55a38bc
You've successfully confirmed your account!
Press Enter to Exit
Your HPC account will be disabled when you no longer have an active affiliation with NAU. This includes losing student, employee, or affiliate status. Your HPC account data will be retained for 6 months after losing affiliation with NAU.