Researchers utilizing monsoon’s compute power now have the ability to share project data with colleagues via a web browser. Any individual files or directories in your /projects/<project_name> can be shared. No file is too large, or too small.
* Note that a long-term storage space is required for this service to work. To obtain a long-term storage space, please request one on the long-term storage request .
Publishing data Accordion Closed
To share data, perform the following steps:
- Change directory to your project directory. The publish script must be ran there. For example, if your project is called hpc_project, you’d run:
- Run the publish_data script. When provided with no files to publish, it will print some usage information. If one or more files and/or directories are specified, those files and/or directories will be published to the web.For example, if you wanted to publish the following files and directories:
You would run:
publish_data january_results computational_data/dataset1.csv computational_data/dataset2.txt
- Your data can now be accessed at rcdata.nau.edu/<project_name>. Using the previous examples, the URL would be
Unpublishing data Accordion Closed
If you wish to unpublish files, the unpublish_data script works similarly:
- Change directory to your project directory.
For example, if your project is called hpc_project, you’d run:
- Run the unpublish_data script. For example, to unpublish the following files:
- dataset1.csv - january_results/bad_results.out
you would run:
unpublish_data january_results/bad_results.out computational_data/dataset1.csv
if you wanted to unpublish all of the january_results directory, you’d run:
Once done, the data will still be in your project directory, but will no longer appear on the web.
Optionally securing your data Accordion Closed
Create a file named ‘.htaccess’ inside of the public_data directory within your project folder. In that file, add the following content, with the file path made to reflect your project path:
AuthName "Restricted Area"
Now, to create valid users:
htpasswd -c -s .htpasswd bob
htpasswd -s .htpasswd alice
Note only the first user needs -c, to create the .htaccess file. From then on, only Bob and Alice will have access to your site.
FAQs Accordion Closed
What happens when I delete files in my project area that have been published?
The files remain published.
What happens when I manually delete files from the public_data area?
The files are unpublished effectively. The files that were published still remain in your project area.