Personal Protective Equipment
The health of our Lumberjack community is our top priority at Northern Arizona University. Minimizing hazards and administering safe protocols is the best way to protect our employees and students.
In order to provide sufficient protection, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must be used. Environmental Health and Safety has provided COVID-19 Pandemic: Employee Safety Resources.
What are we doing and when?
- Effective June 10th, 2020 all cleaners, disinfectants, hand sanitizer, and PPE, will be centralized and may only be purchased through NAU Campus Supply or by submitting a requisition to Purchasing if items are not in-stock in Campus Supply.
How do we place an order?
- NAU Campus Supply orders can be placed online using this link: Online ordering (Internet Explorer is the preferred browser).
- If assistance is needed, please refer to these instructions: Online ordering instructions.
PPE stocked in Campus Supply:
- Individual Bottles
- Bulk Gallon
- Wall Dispensers
- Disposable Masks Level 1
- Disposable Masks Level 2
- Cloth Masks
- Clear Face Masks
- Isolation gowns
- Face shields
- Nitrile gloves
- Safety Protective glasses
Sanitizers and Disinfectant
- Disinfectant wipes
- Tablets for Electrostatic Sprayers
For floor clings and breath guards, submit a Work Request through Facility Services.
Why are we doing this?
- Ensure departments have what they need.
- Ensure NAU can meet minimum order quantities for quality products.
- Eliminate investment in excess stock across campus.
- Place NAU in a better position to respond appropriately if there is a resurgence of COVID-19 on campus.
- Allow NAU to take advantage of economies of scale.
- Ensure cleaning products have been approved for use by Facility Services and PPE has been vetted by Environmental Health and Safety for suitability for NAU use.
Why is PPE cheaper at some vendors other than at Campus Supply?
- To ensure the safety of essential NAU personnel and for NAU to continue operations, purchasing PPE was necessary when materials costs were at their highest, only available in certain minimum quantities and subject to incredibly long lead times. While orders during that time were placed as modestly as possible keeping a sharp eye on the market, some of the high cost material remains in stock.
- The supply chain is starting to recover-prices are going down, items are easier to obtain, and lead times are reducing, so NAU will see a reduction in cost over time. As lower cost items are obtained, the cost will reduce to NAU.
- It is important to note that many vendors are accepting orders for PPE and items appear to be in stock, however once the order is placed the vendor states delivery time is one to four months, or the order is cancelled. Quality issues occur frequently in low cost PPE products.
What is being done to reduce costs of materials through Campus Supply?
- Federal Public Assist dollars are available for inventory materials purchased for NAU’s COVID response.
- NAU, ASU and UA along with other Arizona governmental entities are bidding for materials collaboratively to obtain the lowest cost possible and meet minimum order quantities.
What you need to know?
- Instructional Video
- Protexus Backpack PX300ES
- Protexus Handheld PX200ES
- Best Practices – Nozzle Care
For questions or inquiries contact NAU-Purchasing@nau.edu