Laboratory Exchange Proposal Instructions
We are seeking proposals for laboratory exchanges to support visits for laboratory personnel to another lab. These proposals are intended to fund single lab visits. Ongoing/multiple exchanges are possible, but must be proposed independently. Preference may be given to those for which no prior collaboration has occurred.
Application should be 2 pages maximum, single-spaced. List your name and your overseeing PI’s name at the top of the application, along with your contact details.
Successful proposals will:
- Be interdisciplinary
- Generate a product
- Undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral scholars. Foreign students are welcome to apply.
- Applicants and their overseeing PIs must be members of the RCN (Membership Form)
- Current funding must be available to support proposed research aims (no research funding is possible via the RCN – only travel)
- Plans during the exchange itself – purpose of exchange including cross-training goals, personnel to be trained, and other synergisms that may arise from this exchange.
- Long-term impact of the exchange.
- Timeline for the project that justifies the duration of the exchange.
- Is this an extension of a previously funded RCN Exchange? (Note: this does not disqualify the proposal)
Also include in application
Note: Letters of recommendation can be submitted by applicant, or PI’s can email letters of recommendation directly to email@example.com
- Letter of recommendation from your overseeing PI
- Brief letter of acknowledgement from the exchange PI stating that they support your work in their lab
- $3,000 maximum
- Include travel expenses only (no salary support) – ie: flights, lodging, ground transportation, M&IE
- Meals & incidental expenses can be included in your budget as a daily rate (not reimbursed individually)
- Please acknowledge any other funding that may be provided from other sources
- Economy travel is required
*Please note that NAU has centralized its financial administration, and university policy may impact the manner in which your travel support is paid to you, and what expenses can be reimbursed. Your award will be for the amount of your proposal budget, and will cover your total eligible travel expenses only, up to a maximum of your award.
Deliverables—to be provided after the exchange has been completed
- A report on activities of the laboratory exchange, in the form of a blog post for our website.
- Receipts and documentation for all travel expenses being paid for by the RCN
Please submit applications (single PDF document) and deliverables to: firstname.lastname@example.org