Laboratory Exchange Proposal Instructions
Application should be 1 page maximum, single-spaced. List your RCN member name and the member name of your supervisor at the top of the application, along with your contact details.
We are seeking proposals for laboratory exchanges to support visits for laboratory personnel to another lab. These proposals are intended to fund single lab visits. Ongoing/multiple exchanges are possible, but must be proposed independently. Preference may be given to those for which no prior collaboration has occurred.
Successful proposals will:
- Be interdisciplinary
- Generate a product
- Undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral scholars. Foreign students are welcome to apply.
- Applicants and their overseeing PIs must be members of the RCN (join the RCN)
- Current funding must be available to support proposed research aims (no research funding is possible via the RCN)
- Plans during the exchange itself – purpose of exchange including cross-training goals, personnel to be trained, and other synergisms that may arise from this exchange.
- RCN deliverable for the exchange – this must be completed within the grant fiscal year (new fiscal years begin September 1).
- Long-term impact of the exchange.
- Timeline for the project that justified the duration of the change.
- Is this an extension of a previously funded RCN Exchange (note: this does not disqualify the proposal)?
Also include in application
Note: Letters of recommendation can be submitted by applicant or PIs can email letters of recommendation directly to email@example.com (subject: Letter of Rec, Applicant Name).
- Letter of recommendation from your overseeing PI
- Brief letter of acknowledgement from the exchange PI stating that they support your work in their lab
- Budget—cap of $3,000
- Travel support (no salary/stipend support)
- Lodging and per diem may be included
- Please acknowledge any other funding that may be provided from other sources
- Economy travel is required
Deliverables—to be provided after the exchange has been completed
- A report on activities of the laboratory exchange.
- A blog post for the RCN website.
- Receipts from travel expenses
Please submit applications (single PDF document) and deliverables to: firstname.lastname@example.org