Frequently Asked Questions for Admission to the DPT at NAU
1. How do I apply?
Fill out the online application at the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (www.ptcas.org). You must also fill out the NAU online graduate application found at: https://www.applyweb.com/apply/northazg/
2. How much is the application fee?
In addition to the PTCAS fee, the NAU graduate application fee is $65. That fee is paid directly to NAU at the time you submit your online NAU application.
3. What is the application deadline?
Applications open in early July each year and are due on or around September 1st of that same year. Admission would be granted for August of the following calendar year.
4. Are there separate applications for the Flagstaff and Phoenix campus?
No, the PTCAS application and NAU Graduate Application are used for both campuses.
5. Do I have to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)?
Yes, the GRE is required, and scores are reported directly to PTCAS. Instructions are in PTCAS.
6. Is admission competitive?
Yes. NAU receives approximately 1,500 applications a year for our 48 spots at the Flagstaff campus and 50 spots at the Phoenix campus.
7. Are the “minimums” for GRE scores and GPA flexible?
No they are not flexible. You must meet the minimum of each to be considered.
8. How many hours of clinical observations, work, or volunteer experience do I need?
There is no requirement, but we recommend you have 100 hours.
9. Do you accept out-of-state students?
Yes. Preference is given to Arizona residents, but approximately 20%-50% of our class is from out-of-state each year.
10. Do I get to choose the campus I attend?
You are invited to provide a preference, but there is no guarantee that your request will be granted.
11. Do you interview?
Yes. About 300 students are invited to interview with half randomly assigned to interview at Flagstaff and half at Phoenix. Interviews are usually held in January.
12. If I am admitted, will I have to travel to the other campus?
Yes, but travel is limited. For example, you may be required to attend a 3-day course in the second year that may be on the other campus. The site of the course alternates year-to-year between campuses.
13. Can I visit the campuses?
Yes, in fact, we encourage you to do that. If you wish to visit the Flagstaff campus, email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to visit the Phoenix campus, email your request to email@example.com.
14. How many years is the DPT program?
The program is 2.5 years long (7 semesters) with a December graduation.
15. Can I attend part-time or in the evenings?
No, the program is full-time. Classes occasionally are scheduled in the evening or on weekends, but most are between 8 am and 5 pm Monday through Friday.
16. How much does the DPT program cost at NAU?
Tuition and fees can be found at: /SDAS/Tuition-Fees/
17. What should I major in as an undergraduate?
Many of our applicants have degrees in exercise science or kinesiology, but we do not require any particular major. The primary issue is that you must complete all of our prerequisites before beginning the program.
18. What are the prerequisites?
The list of prerequisites can be found at the PTCAS website. If you have specific questions about prerequisites, email your question to firstname.lastname@example.org.
19. Must I take the prerequisites at a 4-year college?
No, you can take them from any 2- or 4-year accredited college or university.
20. Is there on-campus housing at the Flagstaff or Phoenix campus?
There is some graduate student housing available at NAU in Flagstaff, but there is limited availability. There is none available in Phoenix. Our students live in apartments in surrounding neighborhoods.
21. When do classes begin?
Classes begin around the 3rd week of August for Flagstaff students and mid-August for Phoenix students.
22. Where do students complete their clinical internships?
We have contracts with hundreds of sites throughout the U.S.
23. Do I have to get a criminal background check?
Yes. A drug screen is also required. Details will be provided upon admission.
24. Are immunizations required?
Yes, they are mandatory. Details will be provided upon admission.