GUIDeS Workshop SeriesFollow along with our GUIDeS Workshop series as our faculty and partners share their expertise across contexts
Shared Resource Leaders
Jani Ingram, PhD
Ron Heimark, PhD
Maria Lluria-Prevatt, PhD
Guiding U54 Investigator Development to Sustainability
The GUIDeS shared resource utilizes the lessons learned from NACP and national studies to provide comprehensive professional development resources designed primarily for ESIs (early stage investigators) and JIs (junior investigators) in cancer research and/or cancer disparities research. A priority goal is to assist ESIs and JIs in obtaining extramural funding and maximize their scholarship productivity.
Specifically, GUIDeS works to:
- Assist ESIs through the process of developing a rigorously designed cancer research project and identify potential funding opportunities.
- Pair them with senior NACP faculty researcher mentors and other inter-institutional collaborators for the development of their projects and resulting grants and publications.
- Navigate them through the University system in developing the regulatory, financial, and institutional requirements for conducting and submitting research to extramural agencies.
- Afford opportunities to participate in grant development workshops and mock study sections as well as access to grant writing and proposal development services.
- Provide biostatistics and bioinformatics support services as well as streamlined access to experts in Native American-based community engagement, specifically regarding research (Outreach Core).
- Support their development of effective organizational, time management, and research communication skills, e.g., seminar presentation and manuscript preparation.
- Support and enhance NACP-associated ESIs and JIs in developing competitive research projects for intramural and extramural funding focused on cancer research, notably in addressing cancer disparities among Native Americans.
- Provide ESIs and JIs with biostatistics and bioinformatics consulting and methodological support services in developing and analyzing cancer research and cancer health disparities research projects.
- Enhance ESI’s and JI’s organizational, management, and research communication skills.