Diversity Curriculum Committee
On February 24, the Chairs, Chris Paige and Gretchen McAllister, of the Diversity Curriculum Committee (DCC) presented the Diversity Initiatives proposal. The initiatives are required to transition to and support General Studies. DCC aspires to make NAU a leader in this area for other institutions and students. DCC created an FAQ document to address Initiative #1, which proposes creating a position for a Director of Diversity Curriculum; the FAQ is available on the Faculty Matters Forum (link needed). The DCC, Faculty Senate (FS), and administration are collaboratively working on a process to create a position for a Diversity Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (DEIJ) faculty leader. The following five of the six priority areas for advancing the General Studies program were brought forth to the Senate:
- Build faculty capacity in diversity through increased faculty hires, retention mechanisms, and support systems
- Hire a Chief Diversity Officer (CDO)
- Recognize diversity champions in workload documents.
- Encourage all faculty to commit to advancing diversity initiatives as part of their SOE
- Establish more resources so that each college can develop a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion program tailored to their college
The Faculty Senate approved the Diversity Initiatives #2-6 with a vote of 35 in favor, 0 objections, and 3 abstentions (35-0-3).
View Diversity Initiatives Proposal
Resolution opposing AZ 1123 and HB 2447
The Faculty Senate adopted and passed the FSEC Resolution opposing AZ Senate Bill 1123, House Bill 2447, and any legislation that would increase guns on campus with a vote of 36-2-2.
Teaching Track Proposal Endorsement
The Faculty Senate endorsed the final Teaching Track position and reappointment guidelines with a vote of 38-0-4
View Teaching Track Guidelines
ASNAU Minimum Wage Resolution Endorsement
Brendan Trachsel presented the ASNAU Resolution for raising the minimum wage for campus workers to $15/hour (View ASNAU-SR-004). The Senate endorsed ASNAU-SR-0004 with a vote of 34-1-1