Faculty 2 Student Outreach
The Faculty2Student (F2S) Outreach tool* functions to support communication with students in your courses.
*To access the tool, we suggest using with the Google Chrome browser.
What is F2S?
Most educators know (and the research confirms) that performance-based feedback in the moment is significant to student success. F2S is a tool that enables faculty to give consistent, formative feedback throughout the duration of the term/semester.
F2S is Northern Arizona University’s Academic Feedback Tool (Early Alert System) that converts your quick input and comments into:
- a personalized message to the students
- a notification in the student’s MyNAU Portal
- an official entry in the student’s official LOUIE and SalesForce record
Note: unlike other early alert systems, there is no “middle-man” in F2S. The message goes directly to the student and the documentation in the student’s LOUIE and Salesforce record creates a composite of student performance based on instructor feedback that improves advisor and administrative interventions.
F2S is a flexible, time-saving tool!
- Faculty determine the criteria and timing of its use.
- Best practices suggest consistent use throughout the term/semester, and messages at the end of each week is most effective.
- You can accomplish it in just a few clicks, if you choose.
Here’s how it works Accordion Closed
You can send a F2S email to a student as many times as you want!
- Access the F2S Application and log in using your NAU credentials: nau.edu/f2s.
- Navigate to the Faculty Center, then click the F2S icon next to your class.
- Enter comments for your students.
In addition to the personalized message, the email contains links to resources, actions to consider, and important dates/deadlines.
Ultimately, the F2S emails you send enables campus-wide support for your students because these data are used to form real-time academic composite views of students performance which advisors, administration, and supporting staff utilize in outreach/intervention efforts.
Learn more about F2S Accordion Closed
- F2S is FERPA Compliant. Use the system to send academic performance related information, but do not use it to send grades or medical/disability information.
- F2S is a tool to help faculty augment and document conversations with students. Your F2S comments are stored on the student’s record, making your feedback available to supporting staff.
- View F2S Positive Message (video)
- View F2S Concern (video)
- F2S Quick Reference (how to guide)
Communication guidelines Accordion Closed
Please consider how you develop your messages to students. Below are some suggestions:
- Messages to students should be less formal, yet should include specific information (whether positive or constructive).
- Messages should be more frequent, especially when there are concerns about student performance or behaviors.
- Messages should be supportive in nature and demonstrate a belief in their abilities. Difficulties are normal. Develop messages that normalize these difficulties but don’t negate the need for change/improvement.
- Messages should never include student’s grades, but can address a grading concern.
Examples of messages expressing concern:
- “Your raw score on the exam was lower than I like to see. I believe that you can get a higher grade if you utilize a few available resources like tutoring or SI. Don’t hesitate to see me if you have other questions or concerns.”
- “I’ve noticed you haven’t been to class regularly. Please make an effort to attend every class period so you can be successful in my class.”
- “Your assignments have not been done as well as I would have hoped. I understand it is difficult to know how to study for and prepare assignments in Chemistry. You are not alone. There are many resources such as the Academic Success Centers, your SI leader, and myself available to you.
Your feedback has resulted in the following updates to F2S
- Faculty can now sort by grade.
- Adding a TA to the system is easy! Email F2SOutreach with TA name and login and class name/number.