Your generosity helps our students succeed
When you give to Northern Arizona University and the Commission on the Status of Women Martha Portree Scholarship, you contribute to something greater than yourself. With your support, we are able to help enrich the education of students at NAU in many ways:
- provide financial assistance to deserving single mothers via the Martha Portree Scholarship Fund
- promote and advocate for gender equity, parity, and inclusivity
- foster a diverse, safe, and welcoming campus environment
- help to create a family friendly community
About the Martha Portree Commission on the Status of Women Scholarship Fund Accordion Closed
Martha Jean Portree was a member of the NAU community from December 2000 to July 2007. Martha died in a car accident in Flagstaff on July 7, 2007. She was 40 years old. At Cline Library Martha served as a reference services librarian and was known for her dedication and library expertise. She enjoyed helping students and faculty with challenging research questions. With Tina Adams, Sean Evans, and John Doherty, Martha co-wrote “Overcoming Transactional Distance: Instruction Intent in an E-mail Reference Service” in the Winter 2008 issue of Reference and User Services Quarterly. Martha’s coauthors dedicated the article to her memory. Martha enjoyed spending time with her daughter Samantha and husband David, as well as her many friends. She was a fan of biographies, pug dogs, birding, and hiking. She was an unashamed science geek. At NAU, Martha was a tireless advocate of the NAU Commission on the Status of Women’s mission, and she played an active and important role in the work of CSW on behalf of women on the NAU campus. In 2003 she helped create an annual Commission on the Status of Women scholarship for single mothers who excel academically. CSW renamed the scholarship in Martha’s honor in 2007.
Options available for giving
Give to the NAU funds “Portree Commission Status of Women Schp” or “Commission on the Status of Women”
Online contributions Accordion Closed
Martha Portree CSW Scholarship donation link . Select the hyperlink. Once the NAU Foundation donation page opens, type the amount you would like to donate, and scroll down to mid-page to confirm that your selected designation is the Martha Portree Commission on the Status of Women Scholarship. Enter your contact information and confirm your gift. NOTE: If you are a NAU employee, there is also a payroll deduction option. Remember, even $5 a month adds up!
NAU employee giving options Accordion Closed
As an NAU employee, you have the option to either give online or through payroll deduction. Search funds for “Portree Commission Status of Women Schp” or “Commission on the Status of Women”.
Wire transfer Accordion Closed
NAU can receive your generous gift via wire transfer, domestic or international.
Stock transfer Accordion Closed
NAU can receive your generous gift via stock and security transfer. Here is information for your broker.
Direct pledge Accordion Closed
NAU can receive your generous gift via direct pledge, where you can specify where you would like your gift to be utilized. Send all printed and completed forms to:
P.O. Box 4094
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-4094
NAU Fund Accordion Closed
Learn how giving through the NAU Fund makes a difference to students, faculty, and programs.
Gift planning Accordion Closed
Matching gifts Accordion Closed
Many businesses have giving programs where the employer will match their employees’ charitable giving in whole or in part. In some cases, employers will also match gifts from spouses, directors, and retired employees. Please contact your employer’s human resources department to learn if your company will match your gift.
Online bill pay through your bank Accordion Closed
Most banks offer a fast, convenient way to make recurring or one-time online gift payments. Using your bank’s online bill-payment option, you can make a payment to any organization, including the Northern Arizona University Foundation, that you would normally pay by check. Please visit your bank’s online bill-pay web page if you would like to use this option. For more information, please email us.
Frequently asked questions Accordion Closed
- Why does Northern Arizona University need donations?
- State funding, tuition, and fees do not cover the total cost of what it takes to provide a university education each year. Generosity from donors supports every facet of the student experience at NAU. Your support opens the door for students to attend at a reasonable tuition rate and increases scholarships. Your generosity helps NAU attract and retain outstanding professors who cultivate student potential and provides many programs and research opportunities that allow NAU to offer an exceptional education. Our donors help the university grow as an unparalleled institution of higher education.
- Where do my donations go?
- Your contributions to NAU are designated according to your wishes and directly benefit the areas you choose. Simply note your preference on the gift form and how much you want to give to each area. It’s your gift, and your choice.
- Can I designate my gift to more than one area?
- Of course. Clearly note on the gift form how much you want to give to each area, and we’ll take it from there.
- Is my gift tax-deductible?
- Once we receive your gift, you will receive a receipt verifying that your gift has been deposited into the account you have specified. For further information on tax matters, we recommend that you speak with your accountant.
- Can I make a gift jointly with my spouse?
- Yes. Indicate on the gift form that you want to make your gift jointly.
- Can I make an anonymous gift?
- Yes. Simply note your preference on the online or print gift form.