Next Commission MeetingMeeting times will be announced at the beginning of the semester. We look forward to seeing you in the fall!
Due to COVID-19 all university events have been postponed. The President's Diversity Awards event will be moved to Fall 2020.
Commission on Ethnic DiversityThe Commission on Ethnic Diversity (CED) offers an opportunity for dialogue, shared experiences, and advocating change for people of color and allies committed to anti-racist, non-discriminatory, and participatory practices through collaboration with other university commissions, academic units, and the Chief Diversity Officer of Northern Arizona University (NAU). CED seeks to create environments that reflect the struggles and successes of communities of color in both the United States and in global contexts. For students, staff, faculty, and administrators, CED strive to:
- Promote the recruitment and retention of students, staff, faculty, and administrators of color at NAU
- Advocate for equity in salary and working conditions by strategically negotiating policies and practices
- Contribute to the development of a welcoming and supportive environment for faculty, staff, and students of color at NAU
- Support the integration of academic and student affairs programming focused on racial/ethnic diversity issues
- Collaborate with other university commissions to make recommendations to NAU's Office of the President
Join CED today!
Why Our Work Is Important
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere”, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Just like a vital organ within the human body, the Commission on Ethnic Diversity is a necessary valve within the heart of Northern Arizona University. Like the human heart, valves keep blood moving in the right direction. The Commission’s purpose is to one of the forces in which justice, righteousness and compassion for all people, flow throughout the NAU community in a positive and productive direction, especially those of diverse backgrounds. Without that valve… without CED, injustice could threaten the vitality of the healthy heart. I believe in Northern Arizona University. I believe that we all have a role in sustaining the true heart of a Lumberjack." - Denise TrimbleSmith, CED Co-Chair