Characteristics of a purpose statement
The purpose statement identifies the overall goals or aims of the degree program, as collectively understood by the faculty members teaching in the degree program. The degree program purpose statement summarizes the following in a manner that differentiates it from other academic programs offered at NAU:
- The scope of the program,
- The content studied, skills developed and so on,
- The learning experiences provided, and
- The future opportunities for which it prepares students.
- Programs with emphases also summarize the content and skills unique to each emphasis area.
- Graduate degree programs also address the population that is best suited for the graduate program.