As a VISTA member you will serve with an organization to build programs and systems in order to expand their services and alleviate poverty in the community. We have three focus areas in our VISTA program: STEM Education, College Access and Opioid Education. Each focus area addresses systemic issues and alleviates poverty from different perspectives, making our communities stronger together.
NAU’s VISTA Highlights
In 2018-2019 alone our VISTA’s have:
- Recruited over 119 volunteers totaling over 1260 hours of volunteer service
- Leveraged both in-kind and grant resources totaling over $67,000 dollars
- Provided STEM-related education opportunities for 2,500 students
What Are The Benefits?
In addition to the opportunity to make a difference, VISTA members receive:
- Bi-weekly living stipend
- Education award equal to the Pell Grant
- Monthly bus passes & $100 Safeway gift cards
- Professional development & training
- Student loan deferment
- Healthcare & nutrition assistance
- Optional childcare benefit
- Sick and vacation time
- Non-competitive eligibility for federal employment
Where Can You Volunteer?
The VISTA Program is available in the following locations:
- Coconino County
- Maricopa County
- Mohave County
- Navajo County
- Pima County
- Yavapai County
If you’re interested in volunteering for the program in a county not listed here, please contact our office at 1-866-856-3017.
Eligibility for VISTA Service
All VISTA AmeriCorps volunteers are required to:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Pass a fingerprint-based background check
- Be able to work in the United States
- Serve 35 hours a week for 1 year
What Are Your Next Steps?
If you’d like to join our VISTA team you can contact us to get in touch with one of our program coordinators and follow up with any questions you have about the program!